44. Dazzling with Diamonds

Stylists were at the front door before I roused from my slumber. I was woken from the insensitive commotion downstairs, with the large space and lack of furniture, the villa was extremally echoey.

I spent the early morning listening to music and showering. My damp hair was against the hairdryer when Romeo walked in, again without consent. 'You're needed downstairs.' He said, then walked straight back out.

Since I spoke with Santiano a few days ago, I've had a few exchanges with my grandfather and uncle. There were the occasional hellos and good mornings, but nothing to keep a conversation going.

I have noticed a look in my grandfathers' eyes that I usually only see when I look at my reflection. It is odd, because I don't know what it means, nor have I ever seen anyone share such features. I have been told that we are similar, just how Vince and Santiano are.

I took my seat at the breakfast table, and looked around at the crowd of bustling workers; many carrying trays and dishes, others were shouting out orders from the other end of the room. No one seemed fazed by all of the tumult, so I kept my mouth shut. I was aware that the event was later on today, and everyone already seemed stressed.

'Quid ergo dicemus ad introducendam illam ad inferos?' Rocco didn't take his eyes off me when he asked the question in Latin. (How the hell are we going to introduce her)

'Ipsa voluntas facit introitus sui.' Michele responded in the same foreign language. (She will make her own entrance)

'Have you got your outfit sorted?' Lorenzo asked whilst swallowing his biscotto.

'Yeah.' I hummed. 'I think it's far too extra for a little gathering.'

Romeo choked on his morning coffee and started to chuckle, as did some of the others around the table. 'Sorellina thinks this is a little gathering.' He mocked my femininity and snorted again.

'Is it not just family?' I asked.

'Our family, is a big family Alessa.' Luca civilly explained. 'You will be the only girl, so try to prepare yourself. There will be a lot of talk about you tonight.'

'Can we try to direct the attention away, I don't like all eyes on me.' I fiddled with the signet under the table.

'That's just the way it is going to be I'm afraid.' Armani pursed his lips into a straight line, as if feeling some sort of empathy.

'Don't worry baby, your big brothers will look after you.' Rocco teased which set off another chain of laughter, but I knew that they were being serious. They would especially show this at the end of the night... when an unexpected turn of event occurs.

'If I may, I have something that I would love for you to wear tonight.' Our grandfather spoke, reaching under the table. A large square box, stitched with maroon velvet was displayed in his tattooed hands. 'Your grandmother wore this on our wedding day, 50 years ago.' He gently opened the box to reveal the most extravagant piece of jewellery I had ever laid my eyes on.

This necklace was just diamonds, nothing more than rich, pure diamonds. Shards of excellency pointing in every direction, in every way that the compass showed. My eyes went big and my mouth hung open.

'It hasn't been worn for 25 years.' My uncle Sergio added.

'It would mean a great deal to me if you would wear it for the first time, my granddaughter, my only granddaughter.' His piercingly bright eyes stared me down as I did the same to the necklace.

'That really isn't a good idea.' I pointed to the necklace. 'I will lose that.'

'You won't.' Gio tried to convince.