60. Man From the Window

After I was checked and bandaged at medical, my arm with a thin wrap on it, and my face cleaned so that a lone wound remained in a hollow way, Vince took me straight home.

Armani had no idea why I was back so early, and why on earth I was arriving with Vincent. He sent a questioning glance in the foyer, but his eyes ambled to my arm, the rolled up sleeve and obvious bandage sent him into his concerned self, it's like he had it on speed dial.

Luca and Michele had left the country to handle business elsewhere, they never specified where they were heading off to, but it felt quieter. Even though neither of them made too much of a noise for it to ever be dubbed a disruption, but knowing that we were a couple people short could have outlined the principle of my thoughts.

Never mind that, the others hadn't arrived back from school yet, Rocco was probably still at work.

Armani, keeping me in his strong, secure embrace, looked up from me and into the eyes of our eldest brother. I continued to keep my face smushed into his knitted jumper and avoided eye contact with both of them, although it wasn't hard, my back was facing Vince, and I was practically embedded into Armani's chest.

I was glad that my arm wasn't put into a sling, I would be far from able to accept any human contact if this were the case. I wasn't quite sure how long I could have lasted without one of Armani's warm hugs.

'Alessa, why don't you freshen up.' He spoke tenderly, as he loosened his grip on me ever so gently.

'And rest.' Vince added strictly, nodding his head in the direction of the left staircase when I didn't make an effort to move. 'One of us will bring you painkillers shortly.'

I felt drained, so I counted myself as defeated as I sighed tiredly. My feet moved themselves towards the stairs, I took my time hoping that they would start a conversation so that I could hear, even just a little bit of what they were planning on saying. I knew it would be about me, I was solely curious how Vince would execute the story. They didn't speak, I had to expect it. They irritably waited until I had disappeared from their view, and unfortunately ear shot.

I helplessly realised that there was no way of eavesdropping, and I wanted to save the trouble of getting caught, when I could be revising for my exams instead.

With that fresh in my mind, I walked straight to my bedroom. My bed was done neatly, and my work was stacked tidily on the side of desk. Chiara must have done this, she is the only one in this house who knows how I like my things organized.

I smiled singularly as I went into my closet and picked out a large hoodie which fully covered my arms, I put on long trousers afterwards to keep me warm.

My room was bright, all the curtains had been drawn back, and the lights and lamps were turned on. It felt so empty despite all the furniture present, I just wanted to jump into the inviting bed, but I knew what I needed to do. I couldn't procrastinate any longer.

My textbook had now been laid out on the desk for a while, my pen was moving aimlessly, according to the way I was moving my hand. I looked back at the clock on the wall to see the time, and groaned when I realised I had been sat down for almost an hour, I had only read through one chapter. I couldn't blame myself for being so preoccupied.

Moments after I had welcomed myself back into reality, a brief knock, followed by the door opening led me to stare at the wall in front of me, just wondering who it could be. I heard the door close, and the few seconds of silence is what made me turn around out of curiosity, to face whoever was behind me. I internally prepared myself to get scolded. 'I thought Vince told you to rest.'