49. A Moth in the Dark

Roma leaped from the fancy sun-lounger he was once sat on, and took the cardboard from my grasp. I didn't say anything, nor did I even attempt to stop him as he tore the box apart, leaving the grisly content on the sheets.

Even the valiant dog whimpered as the severed arm fell out. I pulled Roma back and rubbed his head as I covered my face in his jacket of freshly groomed silk fur.

I exhaled into Roma who happily curled up next to me. I then brought my face out and placed my head sideways on his body, this dog was the best thing that has happened on this trip so far. I never thought that it would be something I'm so afraid of to bring me some sort of tranquillity, I think I needed the hug; it was just surprising that it was from an animal.

Romeo helped me to stand up after I had a moment, but I didn't move my gaze from what had just fallen out. Everyone's voices were muffled, their orders went through me, and I just couldn't comprehend what was happening. It was all so overwhelming.

I stuttered another gasp as I was suddenly pulled away from the frightening object. My brother, aside for his best attempts, couldn't keep me from looking at the severed limb. All I really wanted was for him to force my eyes away from the chaos, especially since the last thing I saw was a wedding ring on the appropriate finger, the same one that my mother wore.

Santiano wouldn't recognize it because she pawned her original wedding ring to fund her drug complication.

Of course she didn't have to buy a new ring, but apparently men love it when they have the opportunity to sleep with a married woman. Quite horrendous I know, but homewreckers are the sad truth.

I was thinking about everything in the wrong way, I pushed aside the fact that this was my mother's arm...

I didn't even realise that I was inside the villa until I found Xavier snapping his fingers in front of my face. I blinked a couple of times and regained my senses.

'You're ok.' He reassured, then pushed my shoulder so that I was sitting down. They were treating me as though I was incapable to move, I probably looked it so I wasn't mad at the treatment.

I stood up as soon as I was down, then looked around without saying another word. The door was what I was searching for, I needed to tell them who's hand it belonged to so they wouldn't worry over someone not worth worrying about.

'There was an arm in that box, right?' I felt the need to recheck the situation so that I didn't look like a complete fool during the confrontation.

'Come with me.' Vince arrived at the door before anyone could confirm, he ushered towards the outside and waited until I was there before walking. Surprisingly, he slowed down as I caught up with him, and began moving in the opposite direction to all of the fuss. Every time I attempted to look back, he would clear his throat as a warning. 

'I think we're going in the wrong direction.' I finally spoke up once I had found the courage. Although Vince was my brother, he had my upmost respect, and quite frankly, I feared him.

We were now on the beaches edge, somewhere I could never envision myself standing with my eldest brother. His hands were in the pockets of his dark trousers, and he looked busy as he looked further into the distance. Of course the beach was dark, but not quite pitch black.

'You shouldn't have seen that.' He started, still not looking at me. 'I realised a while ago that it is far too late to pull the wool over your eyes, you already know much. However, you are still young, and because you are under my care, I won't have you in the presence of such disgusting things. You are still in the dark my dear, you just understand intelligence.'