50. Blueprints

I picked at the green grapes that were in a small clay bowl, decorated with rich blue, hand-painted designs. It was early evening, and I was awaiting my Grandfather who had asked me to meet him in the kitchen roughly at this time. It was mid-January, and my relationship with the stranger men had gotten better, I was seeing some hope. My cousins and uncles left a few days after New Year's, and returned back to their home in the outskirts of Sicily.

There were very few times when I had a moment alone, so sitting by myself in the quiet house was unusual. The twins had gone out with Romeo, Xavier and Rocco, most likely drawn to the clubs downtown, near the jazz bars and speakeasys. Gio had gone out with his father, I hadn't seen everyone else all day, so I was partially surprised when I was asked for a moment.

I won't lie and say that I did an awful lot on the productive side, I went on a run, rewatched Scarface-quoting the entire movie as it went on- and answered a group facetime call with my best friends. Unsurprisingly, we spoke for hours, Izzy babbled on about her 'great nights' with Julian whilst Angelo and Leo threatened to attack him when he'd least expect it.

I rested my head on the table, and covered the back of my hair with my two arms that went around the sides. I wasn't falling asleep, I just needed to rest my craned neck.

It wasn't until I heard the stool from opposite me being pulled out that I actually lifted my head.

'Buonasera Camilla.' His deep voice was husked and hushed, it made me wonder if this was just an illusion from the effects of sleep deprivation.

'Buona serata.' I responded. 'Why do you always call me by my middle name?'

'I chose the name, so it's mine to call you by.' He said which made me hum, I guess Izzy will need to find me a new name. Undoubtably after giving her this news, it will be something quite horrible.

'Why did you call me here?' I asked straight up.

'I heard you play tennis.' He spoke, setting 2 rackets on the island as he looked at me expectedly. I hadn't even realised that he was dressed in trendy sporting clothes, with a white visor that had absolutely no use other than to look stylish.

'Who did you hear from?' I narrowed my eyes in question.

'Luca mentioned it, I'm impressed with how far you have taken it.' He commented, taking one of the rackets by the tail, then sliding the slightly smaller one across the counter, so it landed perfectly in front of me. 'I'll show you around the courts.'

I followed after him as he walked with such grace into the back exterior, his styled head of hair looked weirdly good for his age, not to mention the barely wrinkled skin and tattoos that hadn't faded at all- in fact, they looked as though they had been done yesterday.

'You have a lot of tattoos.' I said, trying to count the amount on his arm, but loosing my mind once I reached mid-twenties. 'Has Rocco done any of them?'

'My grandson with a needle isn't reassuring within itself, but I allowed him to do this piece on my wrist.' He stopped just outside the gates of the court, and turned his hand so I saw the inked writing.

L'amore che ho per la mia famiglia è più grande di qualsiasi altro. The love I have for my family is greater than any other.

The exact same one I found on the back of Rocco's neck when he was carrying me back from the fright I received from Roma.

'Does everyone in the family have this tattoo?' I asked, curiosity swelling as I learned more.

'Everyone who wants a tattoo. Vincent, Armani, Luca, Lorenzo, Gio, Rico and of course yourself have none, but the others have the same message in the same handwriting. My handwriting.'