2. Settling in

I finish my shower and get dressed. I make my way to the living room and grab my phone to check the time. It's 6pm here which means it's 4am back home. I was about to call my mom and let her know I made it here safe but decide to text her instead. I'll just call her later on before I go to bed. I opt to order some food instead, I was starving. The plane food wasn't very good so I am excited to have actual food. I'll admit, I don't think I had ever had Korean food so it's hard to pick something out. I choose kimchi fried rice and bulgogi. A lot of the food sounds amazing but I know myself, I eat like a bird. I'm not trying to have food go to waste. At least back home, my roommate would eat it. But now that I'm alone, I definitely don't want to waste any of it.

I sit in the living room for a little while and just look out the windows. The sun was starting to set so the view is even more beautiful than when I first walked in. I still can't believe that this is what I get to wake up to every morning. I can't help but think how lucky I am and how grateful I am for this opportunity. I snap myself out of my trance before I start to get emotional. I'm definitely the type of person that cries at any strong emotion. I just can't help it. I hate it so much. I'm the one that cries in the middle of an argument because I'm so damn frustrated and it makes me look weak. I can't stand being looked at as weak. I'm everything but, I just don't talk about my struggles and it's because of those struggles that I appreciate everything I have.

I look at my phone again and decide to look up the best way to get to my new job tomorrow. I don't know my way around so I'll have to take a cab or something. It's not far but in a city this big with so many people, I'm bound to get lost. Originally, I'm not supposed to officially start until Monday and today is only Wednesday. I decided to come early so I could get settled and not have to worry about work yet for a few days and I'm glad I did. The CEO's assistant called me yesterday asking if I was still coming early and if I wouldn't mind coming in before my official start date to do some paperwork and meet the people I'll be working with. I guess I'll be like the assistant to the assistant but they didn't say much about it. They didn't tell me the names of the people I'll be working with either so I'm assuming they're saving that for proper introductions once I get there. Fine by me, I'm better with names when I can see the person face to face.

There's a knock at the door that pulls me away from my phone. I go and greet the delivery boy,  take my food and thank him. It smells amazing. Right when I smell it, my belly lets out a very loud rumble that makes both me and the teenage boy laugh.

"Enjoy!" he says to me in Korean.

"Thank you!" I respond and wave him off with a smile.

I go and sit in the living room and hear my phone ringing. I look at the called ID and see its the CEO's assistant I spoke to yesterday.

"Hi Yu-Jin! How are you?" I answer.

"Y/N, hi! How was your flight?" she responds.

"It was good. Long but good. Thanks for asking. What can I do for you?" I ask.

"I was just calling to check in on you and to confirm you're coming tomorrow?"

"Yes I am. What time did you need me there? I don't remember if we mentioned a time."

"10AM is good. I'll have a car pick you up at around 9:30am if that's ok?"

"Ten is good, but you don't have to. I can find my own way. It's no big deal."

"It's ok, it's already taken care of. See you tomorrow!"

"Ok, see you tomorrow then." I say and hang up.

"That was nice. Now I don't have to worry about transportation tomorrow. Thank God." I think to myself.

I eat my food and clean up. I check the time again and see it's now after 8am back home so I call my mom. She doesn't answer so I figure she must be busy. Right as I'm about to put my phone down, it rings and I see it's her calling back.

"Hello." I say in Spanish.
"Hi baby. How was your flight? Are you ok?" She responds.
"Yeah mom. It was long but it was ok. I made it to the apartment and took a shower and had dinner."
"That's good, mija. You're going tomorrow to the new job?"
"Yes. I spoke to the assistant a little while ago and they're sending a car for me in the morning so it's one less thing I have to worry about."
"That was very nice of them. Make sure you thank them. Ok baby we'll I'll let you go. Be careful out there, ok? I miss you so much already. I love you." She says.
"I will mom. And I'll be ok. I'm not a baby. Don't worry so much. I miss and love you too." I reply.
"I know but you're so far away. It's hard having you so far away."
"I know. But this is good mom. This is a really good thing for me. So don't worry so much ok?"
"Ok baby. I love you. Call me tomorrow."
"I will. Love you too." I say and hang up.

"I'd better go to bed." I say out loud as I look at the time again. I have a long day ahead of me tomorrow.