1. Band Baaja Baraat

"Di! Are you ready yet? Everyone is waiting." My cousin sister Vanya says knocking on my door.

"Yes I'll be down in two minutes!" I call out and then hear her footsteps retreating.

Sighing, I look at myself in the mirror. I am all dolled up for a marriage I don't want, with a man I hate. Right now, I almost hate my dadaji for putting me in this position. Why did he have to promise Dharam Malhotra that I will marry his grandson, who is by the way, the worst candidate for my husband.

"Saanvi?" My Dadaji coos from outside the door, "Beta, can I come in?"

"Yes." I say timidly. The door opens softly and in walks my dadaji, Mahendra Rajput. His footsteps sound against the tiles with authority, afterall he is a retired army officer. He comes and stands beside me, I look up to find him smiling with tears in his eyes.

"You look so beautiful. Just like an angel." He wipes a lone tear from the corner of his eye. I bite my cheek and look at my reflection in the mirror. My hair is done in an intricate braid, and my red lehenga looks gorgeous with the diamond set. I just wish I felt as happy and did justice to such a beautiful look.

   Saanvi's outfit

"I can't do this dadaji

"I can't do this dadaji. I can't marry Abhimanyu Malhotra. I hate him!" I say gritting my teeth. Dadaji sighs and holds me by my shoulders.

"He is not a bad man. I know you both have your differences and I know it was stupid of me and Dharam to promise eachother that we will get our grandchildren married when you both were very young. But it is what it is right? My bestfriend is not alive anymore and I want to fulfil the promise I made him." He explains tearing up.

Dharam uncle and my dadaji met in NDA and went on to become bestfriends. My father and Abhimanyu's father are both bestfriends as well. So clearly, in both of our families we are the only anomaly. The two black sheeps that despise eachother.

It isn't my fault though, Abhimanyu and I never really got along because he was a year older and always behaved as if he was better than everyone else. Make no mistake, he is still the same.

"I know dadaji. I know how much he meant to you." I say sighing. I don't want to hurt my grandpa, I love him dearly but this is just exasperating. Marriage is supposed to be one of the most important step in one's life, but im my case, marriage is turning into a joke.

"You know I wouldn't ask you to marry Abhimanyu if he couldn't care for you. He is a good man, Saanvi. Give it some time and you'll realise that too."

I nod, "Yeah sure." I mutter. Dadaji holds my hand forcing me to rise up and look at him. He plants a gentle kiss on my head,
"I didn't love your dadi when I married her. We also had an arranged marriage, but in less than six months of our wedding I fell for her and she for me. You have to trust me, beta. I would never marry you off to someone who doesn't deserve you."