33. Cruel Intentions

At seven fifteen in the evening Vikrant's Audi screeches to a halt in front of my office building. I had been waiting for a few minutes by then having half a mind to just not to go on this date.
Yeah. It is a date this time. We made it clear when he called me this afternoon to confirm if we were still on for tonight. He was happy that I am finally giving us a chance but I don't think I share the same sentiments on the matter.
A married woman going on a date with another man. Fits perfectly along the lines of cheater.

"Good evening ma'am." Vikrant's new? driver chimes as I am getting in the car. I give him a quick reply back as I settle in and Vikrant enables the separating glass.

"Hi, gorgeous." He greets me.

"Long time." I say in response. The conversation this time feels a lot more awkward than other times. Obviously one main reason is the whole fiasco that happened the other night. We haven't had a chance to talk about it since then but it's about time we did.

"So....are we going to address the elephant in the room..." I trail off meaningfully.

Vikrant takes the hint. He rolls the sleeves of his black shirt and touches my knuckle gently.
"Yeah...I guess it's time we did." He agrees. "I am sorry for behaving like an asshole the other day...you know about trying to kiss you. But most importantly I am sorry for loading my bullshit on you and Abhimanyu....you guys didn't need all that information and I was just being unfair by blaming it on Abhimanyu. It's not his fault my father is a fucked up human."

"You don't need to apologise for your father. Infact I am glad you unloaded it...its not great for your mental health to have all that trapped in you." I add silently. His fingertips are still on my knuckles and I am very aware of it.

"I'm really sorry. No one deserves what you've been through....what your mom has been through." I blow out a ragged breath, "

He trails a finger up my arm stopping just at my elbow.
"You're just being understanding." He drops his hand abruptly.
"But this night I want us to be happy. So can we put that behind us for right now?"

"Sure." I nod. "What do you have planned for tonight?"

He gives me tha first genuine smile since I saw him this evening and rubs his hands gleefully. "We are going to my house. I am going to be your ferry, your cook and your waiter. Basically your everything tonight."

I raise an eyebrow. "You're going to cook for me today?"

He nods. "Yes. I've been told I am a good cook, let's see what you have to say on that."

I laugh feigning excitement. Going to his house wasn't in my top priority for a date but uhh let's see.
"The jury is out, Mr. Mehra. Bring it on."

"Oh, by the way, did you change your driver?" I ask curiously.

Vikrant gives a tight nod. "Kailash got to know too much. So...he had to go. But don't worry I paid him handsomely to keep his mouth shut." His explanation shocks me but I don't let it show. Is it so easy to fire people just because of your own screw up?

Half an hour later we reach Vikrant's apartment. It's a fancy ass building that looks like it definitely has over five hundred flats spread out in its huge land area.

We get out in front of Tower B and the driver is sent away to park the car in the basement.

I had known from earlier that he lives alone in a flat but I had no idea it was in such a great environment.
"The lift is this way..." He leads me and we climb onto the lift ringing with annoying flute music.

We step out on the eight floor.
He unlocks the door and switches on the light, illuminating a perfectly neat and spacious flat.
"You have a nice house." I comment as I remove my sandals outside and step it.