16. Hurts too much

I have been trying to find Abhimanyu since I got done with the dance with Vikrant but he's nowhere to be found. For a brief moment I get the scary feeling that he left without me but when a random aunty tells me she saw Abhimanyu near the washroom two minutes ago then I don't think that's the case.

I am almost about to give up and call his phone when I hear some whispers coming from the dimly lit place near the podium. I follow the sound and stop dead in my tracks when I spot who is there and what they are doing.

Abhimanyu has Shanaya caged in between the wall and his arms. His face is locked with hers and anyone who has a brain can easily understand they are making out. I bite on my lower lip so hard that I draw blood. The metallic taste of blood floods my mouth.

I have been searching for him everywhere, hoping to resolve things with him and he is...this is what he is doing. I am such an idiot for thinking anything could ever change between us. Moreover, I didn't even know Shanaya was here.

When Shanaya let's out a muffled moan I tighten my grip on my purse and turn around, not able to witness their intimate exchange any longer. I sag against the wall and close my eyes shut.  He has a problem with me dancing with Vikrant, he has a problem with random guys hitting on me, he has a problem with Vikrant calling him out but I shouldn't have a problem seeing him with another girl right? That's what his great thinking says.

When I finally open my eyes an older woman who has grey hair and is wearing a red saree is looking at me pitifully. She smiles sadly and briefly looks inside.

She walks to where I am standing and pats my shoulder. "You are not the only one who this has happened to. All men are the same, they all cheat in the end."

Her eyes have a knowing look and her words let me know that she's been through it. Her husband probably cheated on her. But no matter how much she thinks our situations are the same, they are not. Abhimanyu and I have no relationship, he is making out with the girl he actually loves. I have no right to care and act hurt.

Infact, I am the one he cheated on his girlfriend with. Whenever I think of that kiss in his car I feel guilty. I shouldn't have kissed Abhimanyu. No matter how good it felt, it was wrong.

I nod at the woman and she smiles reassuringly. "Don't worry though, they all come back to us eventually." She says that as if it's  supposed to be a good thing. I will never understand why these women would want to stay with their cheating bastard husbands. If me and Abhimanyu actually had a relationship, I would have divorced him in a second if I caught him cheating.

The woman's words are doing nothing but making me feel worse. Because in my story, me and Abhimanyu are going to divorce in the end and he's never going to come 'back' to me, because he was never mine in the first place.

"I need to go." I stand up from the ground and dust my dress. The woman smiles and nods and I don't waste a second in fleeing out of there. I run out of the banquet hall and after a long run manage to escape out through the exit. The cold air, the night sky and an almost empty road greets me.

I start walking, willing to go anywhere but away from that place. For a short while the only sounds I can hear are the horns of vehicles at random intervals and the constant clicking of my heels. I stop at a bus stand and board the first bus that comes by. It's rather uncrowded with only a few people scattered across various seats. I take a seat on the last row. The events of earlier keep replaying in my head and before I know it, tears are rolling down my cheeks. I wipe my tears and ignore the urge to cry.

I remember Trisha's words from when I broke up with Dev,  "There's no point in crying for someone who's willing to let you go." and force myself to stay strong. Abhimanyu wants Shanaya, and that's that. What did I think? Just because we laughed and had fun tonight he'll suddenly be intrested in me? This is not some movie that I'll get my happy ending. Abhimanyu was behaving sweet tonight because it was an act and he had made things clear. I am pathetic for reading too much into something fake.

But then again, whenever it comes to Abhimanyu, I always read too much into things.

The bus stops at Maitri Vihar. I get down since I know the way from here to home. I book a cab and reach home within twenty minutes. The house is dark, since mom and dad will be staying at the relative's house for two days and there is no one at home. I check my phone and see that  I have two missed calls from mom. I call her back as I remove my heels.
"Saanvi?"

"Yes mom. You called?"

"I tried to call both you and Abhi  but couldn't reach you. Anyways, I called you to check if I switched off the gas...I feel like I forgot to." Her voice is laced with worry. I close the main door and switch on the lights and make my way to the kitchen.

I check the gas and the gas stove which are switched off. "Don't worry mom, it's switched off." I assure her. She breathes in relief.

"Good. Anyhow now tell me how was the dinner? Had fun?"

"Yes mom. It's was nice."

"Good. I hope you both enjoyed a lot.....is Abhi around? your dad wants to speak to him." I think of some lie to tell her quickly, they can't know that I came back alone and that too without letting Abhi know.

"Umm...he's in the washroom." I lie. Mom buys it.

"He wanted to ask something about work...anyhow leave that. You sound tired, I won't keep you long. Go and sleep. Good night." She says.

"Good night." I wish and hang up. I keep the phone on the side table and strip out of my dress. I change into a t shirt and pajamas and after washing my hands, feet and face fall onto the bed. I type out a message to Abhimanyu

Me: booked a cab home since you looked busy.

After the message goes from one tick to double tick showing me that it's delivered, I close my phone and drift off to sleep.

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Two updates together! I am also a little surprised 😂
Anyways, I hope you guys enjoyed the chapters!

PS: What are your thoughts on Vikrant's character? Tbh, I don't like him. And also Abhimanyu can be such a jerk some times right :-\