Eleven

As Toni left the Whyte Wyrm she couldn't deny she felt a little uneasy about what happened the last time she walked home.

Maybe she should stop drinking at the Wyrm so she could just ride her motorcycle home.

As she walked home in the dead of night, the south side was particularly quiet.

Suddenly her ears perked at a quiet rustling down a alley, she stopped in her tracks as she reached into her jacket pocket placing her hand on her switchblade.

The moonlight barely lit the street and the alleyway was particularly dark, she heard another rustle and decided she'd check it out, the last thing she wanted was someone sneaking up behind her as she walked away.

She pulled out her phone turning on the torch and slowly stepping into the alley.

There were trash bags everywhere but she couldn't see a person, maybe it was just a stray cat or something.

As she was about to turn around as she told herself she was being paranoid when she heard the noise again and noticed it was coming from a cardboard box among the trash.

She assumed it was a rat but her curiosity got the better of her.

She stepped forward and slowly opened the lid of the box ready to jump back in case whatever it was tried to attack her.

'Oh my god' she whispered 'hi'.

Toni knelt down slowly and carefully held out her hand, it was a young puppy, probably around eight weeks old, it looked in pretty bad shape.

The puppy cowered as she reached forward but she gently stroked its head before picking it up and holding it towards her chest.

'What are you doing out here?' She said looking around but the puppy was out here alone.

She left the alley as she looked over the puppy, he was male, completely black except for some tan markings that looked like eyebrows and he was really underweight.

She decided to take him home and hopefully get him to a vet in the morning.

He fell asleep in her arms while she walked the rest of the way home, his breathes slow and steady but he looked so ill.

When Toni got into her house she checked the puppy over for any signs of flees which luckily she didn't find before making her way to the kitchen and getting him some water.

He tried to drink it quickly so she took it away and let him drink it from her hand so that he didn't overwhelm his little body.

'Okay dude, we've gotta get some sleep' she said picking him up and taking him to her room finding a box from her closet and filling it with blankets so he could sleep in there before crawling into bed herself and falling to sleep.

***

The next morning when Toni woke up she checked on the puppy instantly finding him still asleep, she pulled out her phone and called the vet getting him an appointment in half an hour.

She rushed to get ready since she didn't have much time to get there.

Toni arrived at the vets with a couple of minutes to spare, she was called in right away so she was thankful she didn't have to wait too long.

'Hi what can I do for you' the vet asked.

'I found this puppy last night in a box' she said placing him on the table 'he looks pretty sick, I think he's been abandoned'.

'Okay let's take a look at him' the vet said as he got out his equipment.

'Well he doesn't seem to be chipped so I think you're right to assume he doesn't have a home' he said before moving to listen to his heart and check over him.