Chapter 15

(A/N the picture above is who I picture as Vanessa.)

I sit in the car dazing out the window. I remember the day we got the call.
Flashback

"UNO!" Rebecca screamed next to me. "Darn it." My mom and I said in unison. "Want to play again..." I'm cut off by the phone ringing. "I'll get it." My mom says and stands up to answer the phone.  I hear some of the conversation. "Yes, this is she. What!" She pauses "We will be right there." She sobs. I stand up and go to see what happened. When I reach her, she is sobbing and walking towards the living room. When she sees me, she quickly wipes away her tears. "Lacey, we have to go to the hospital, now!" "Why, what happened?" I panic. "It's your father, he was shot and is in critical care. He could die any minute." She breaks down in sobs and I join her. My dad can't die! He has always been there for me and I'm not sure what I will do without him. What will my mom do without him? They have been married for twenty years!

When we arrive at the hospital, they usher us into the room that he is in. He is laying on the bed with his eyes closed and he has tubes and wires running from his body to various machines. My mom sits down next to him and grabs his hand. I decide to give her some privacy.

After ten minutes  I go back in and say my goodbyes to my father. Later, when we are back in the waiting room, the doctor comes to give us the news. He walks over to us and I can tell by the frown on his face what the answer is. I start sobbing before he can give us the news. "Mrs Blackburn, I'm so sorry, but he didn't make it." My mom wraps me in her arms, and starts sobbing along with me. Now here we stand, a widow and her daughter. Alone

Present

The honking of a car horn brings me back to the now.  My mom's knuckles are white around the steering wheel. I wonder when we will be there. "We should be there in about twenty minutes." My mom answers my unspoken question.

When we get there they usher us into a waiting room. One of the officers tells us that the man is in interrogation right now, and we can identify him in about a half hour. I'm not sure I can go see this man, without support. I have my mom here, but I need more. I pull out my phone and text Vanessa.

Vanessa's POV

"What in the blue hell?" I scream at Seirra. She seriously did not just take a piece of my orange chicken. "Sorry." She says before popping it in her mouth. Sorry, my butt. I continue eating my food as I feel my phone vibrate inside my pocket. I pull it out and read a text from Lacey. It reads,

Can you please come to the police station, it's about my dad's murder. I drop my fork, and stand up. "We have to go, Lacey needs us."

On the way to the police station I recite the text to Seirra. When we arrive, we both hop out of the car, and rush to the door.

Lacey's POV

About twenty minutes later, I see Vanessa walk in the door with Seirra following behind her. She is dressed in her normal skinny jeans and combat boots. I stand up and they both rush over to me and wrap me in a hug. The officer comes over "Are you ready to identify?" My mother and I stand up, and follow the officer. I take a deep breath and brace myself before meeting the man who killed my father.