Chapter 28

After hanging out with Payton, I went back home, finding Olivia sitting on the couch, looking exhausted.

I was pretty exhausted myself.

I sat down on the couch, joining Olivia, she notices me and asks, "How're you?"

"I'm better now, better than before, I talked with Payton."

"What did you guys talk about?"

"You know, things. . ."

"Miles?"

I nodded, "And my feelings for Danial."

Olivia's eyes widened, "Did you tell him everything?"

"Everything except for Danial dating a guy. That's his call, isn't it?"

She nods.

"Olivia, I think Miles knows me more than I know myself."

"Is that not a good thing?"

"Why do you think that is?"

"You know, Miles isn't like your parents, and he's not just anyone, you're not just anyone to him either, you're special to him."

"I know, but I'm afraid."

"Afraid of what?"

I shrugged, "Of getting hurt again. I-I'm basically cursed."

"Hey, you never know unless you try. And you're not cursed, fate just has its own way."

"I don't believe in fate."

Olivia just responds with shrugs with a smile.

"I just don't want to be alone again." I said with a slight sob.

Olivia hugs me and caresses my hair, "Riley, you're not alone, at least not anymore. I won't leave you alone, neither will Payton, he's your best friend. Even if Miles isn't here right now, he's with you in here." Olivia points at my chest, really, she's referring to my heart.

I closed my eyes, which made it easier for my tears to escape. I hugged Olivia back.

That night, I got to bed, but couldn't sleep, only thinking about Miles, though I didn't want to. I blame my brain on my thoughts getting out of control.

I start to notice how I like the attention, the attention my parents couldn't give me. I hated being so alone in the dark, but. . . I had gotten used to it growing up in it, until recently.

I'm blaming it on Miles, it's his fault for raising my hopes, hopes that I don't ever want to lose again. The warmth I feel in his presence.

~ ~ ~

The next day, I came to school with Olivia like usual, we went to first period. There were a few times I've seen Miles in the hallway in between classes.

Whenever we see each other in the hallway, Miles starts to look concern for me, and then takes his chance to look away first.