five

now that criminal minds is coming back for one season *semi officially* i have another idea for a jemily book. specifically, for fixing the season 14 finale and my thoughts and ideas about what the newest season will be about. i'm trying to race through these other books so i can do that one because my mind is already racing😭

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: minimal swearing, mentions of trauma, mentions of death
word count: 3502

Aaron: "Halloween is a day which some people choose to wear a mask...while others finally feel safe to take theirs off." Steve Maraboli.

"So, how have you been?" Tara asked as she handed a water over to Carrie. The teenager smiled softly at Tara as she opened the water.

"I've been okay. It's getting better," Carrie said and nodded her head. "I'm trying to get better."

"I want you to remember something, Carrie," Tara said and sat down. "It doesn't have to be perfect. Something traumatic happened to you. Nobody is forcing you to overcome this at the snap of a finger. But, we need to acknowledge that it did happen."

"I know," Carrie said as she played with her fingers. "Am I terrible?"

"Why did you ask that?" Tara asked and furrowed her eyebrows. Carrie's eyes filled with tears.

"Because I left. I was completely alone, and I jumped at the first opportunity for someone to take of me. My parents and brother are getting buried by the city, and I'm not there," Carrie said as tears fell from her eyes. "Or have been buried, I don't know."

"Carrie, you're not terrible. This was the best decision for you. If you had stayed in Colorado, there was no telling on if you were going to get the help you needed," Tara said softly. "I know Emily. She's one of the most respected agents the Bureau has. She's worked internationally and nationally with many connections around the world. Yeah, it's hard not having someone there all the time, especially during something like this. But, Emily was the best option. You said your parents always wanted you to go to an Ivy League school. Now you have a better chance at going to one. I'd say talk to Emily. Ask her if you could fly to Colorado and just final goodbyes. It'll be good closure."

Knock. Knock. Knock.

"Come in," Tara said and held a finger up to Carrie. Both women looked towards the door and saw Penelope there in a spiderweb dress and a little pumpkin crown on her head.

"I'm so sorry to interrupt," Penelope said to Carrie before looking down at Tara. "Hi, Penelope Garcia. I don't think we've met."

"No, I don't think we have. Doctor Tara Lewis," Tara said as she stuck out her hand. Carrie's eyes flicked back and forth between the two women. She saw that look in Tara's eyes. It was the same one Emily had for JJ. Penelope smiled widely at her before pulling away and her attention towards Carrie.

"Pumpkin, do you want a coffee? It's JJ's treat. They have pumpkin spice," Penelope sang out to try and convince the woman. Carrie giggled and nodded her head. "Okay. Doctor Lewis? Would you like one?"

"No, I'm okay. Pumpkin spice isn't my thing," Tara said as a smile crept up on her face. Penelope blushed slightly at the smile and excused herself before leaving.

"You too? Maybe it was a good thing I came to DC. I have to play matchmaker for you and Emily," Carrie said and took a sip of her water. Tara looked back at the teenager and squinted her eyes.

It was a couple of minutes later when Carrie and Tara had finished up the therapy session. Carrie thanked her again for listening like she always did. Tara sent her on her way with a pat on the back and a wide smile.