seventeen

only three more chapters to go y'all! aren't you exciteddddd🥳

also not proofread ✨

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: swearing, mentions of homophobia, mentions of alcohol consumption, nods at self harm, stalking
word count: 3797

Derek: "Don't play his game. Play yours." Rachel Caine.

The Ambassador smiled softly at the two agents that were standing outside the apartment. She nodded her head as she made her way inside.

Elizabeth set her bag down as she felt Sergio brush against her. She shook her head. Emily always had a soft spot for cats as a child. This wasn't a surprise. The Ambassador sighed softly as she made her way towards the coffee pot. She figured that she could brew herself a cup of coffee while she waited for Emily to wake up.

She set down the empty coffee pot and turned it on. But nothing happened. She furrowed her eyebrows as she pressed the button again.

"It's not connected," Carrie said and tilted her head. Elizabeth jumped at the presence of the teenager. "I'm sorry. I didn't mean to scare you."

"It's alright. I just didn't know anyone else would be awake at this time. I know Emily likes to sleep in late," Elizabeth said and smiled shyly at Carrie. The teenager nodded her head as she walked into the kitchen with Elizabeth. She leaned back against the counter as Carrie sat on the counter.

"So," Carrie said and swung her feet. Elizabeth studied Carrie's body language. "What?"

"I'm sorry. You just remind me of Emily," Elizabeth said and chuckled softly. "She used to jump up on the counter and do that same motion all the time. You remind me so much of her. It's remarkable."

"That's maybe why her and I get along so well," Carrie said and shrugged her shoulders. "I'm surprised that she hasn't said anything about me to you. You seemed surprised when you first met me a week ago."

"Well, mine and Emily's relationship is complicated," Elizabeth said and smiled forcefully.

"How complicated?" Carrie asked and furrowed her eyebrows. "You guys are family, it shouldn't be that complicated."

"Well, you don't know my daughter in that light," Elizabeth said and chuckled bitterly. "Emily and I never saw eye to eye on anything. It feels like she was born to cause me a headache."

"Like on what?" Carrie asked and jumped off the counter. She went towards the fridge and grabbed the jug of lemonade. Elizabeth watched her carefully.

"Like, the public appearance," Elizabeth said simply. "There were somethings Emily was doing that weren't good for an Ambassador's image."

"Like what? Being gay?" Carrie asked jokingly. When Elizabeth didn't answer back, that's when she knew that she had struck a nerve. The teenager went about her business and grabbed a glass for her drink. Carrie felt a helpless prey at the moment with the way that Elizabeth was looking at her. "There's nothing wrong with it, you know."

"It depends on who you ask," Elizabeth said and chuckled.

"It really doesn't. Doesn't the bible say to love everyone unconditionally? Love thy neighbor or whatever?" Carrie asked as she put the jug away. Elizabeth crossed her arms and sat down at the counter. "That doesn't stop when someone comes out as gay, or whatever Emily identifies as. She's still your daughter even if you banished her or whatever."

"I didn't banish Emily," Elizabeth said, holding a hand over her heart. She couldn't believe the thing that Carrie was accusing her of. "I just didn't agree with it."