fourteen

six chapters to go y'all🥳

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: swearing, mentions of stalking, mentions of gun usage, mentions of death
word count: 3289

Clara: "I'm right and wrong, moral and immoral, good and bad, a hero and a villain, and I've been just as capable of truth as I have been lies." Katie McGarry.

Carrie made her way towards the back of the car.

"Please don't make this more weird than it needs to be," Carrie said and turned towards Emily and JJ. The raven-haired woman shrugged her shoulders.

It was Carrie's career day at school. Several booths filled the cafeteria as many guest speakers were trying to promote their workplace. Being in Washington DC, JJ and Emily both jumped at the opportunity to speak for the FBI at her school.

"We're just here to talk about the FBI's careers," JJ said as her and Emily unloaded the car of their display and several pamphlets. "Nobody has to know we're your guardians."

"Think of us as total strangers," Emily said and nodded her head. Her hand went up and tried to wipe off an eye booger that Carrie had.

"Em," Carrie said and tried to fight off the woman. Emily raised an eyebrow at Carrie. The teenager groaned as she finally just let Emily do what she needed to.

"See. Total strangers," Emily said and pinched Carrie's cheek. The teenager rolled her eyes. JJ chuckled and mirrored Emily's gesture. "We we're going to bring you a nice lunch from Bandoola Bowl but since you don't want to be seen—"

"Okay fine," Carrie said and rolled her eyes. Emily and JJ both smiled innocently at her. Just as the two of them were going to drop the teasing with Carrie, her phone rang. Emily watched her take it out as a small smile formed on her face. The raven-haired woman quickly grabbed Carrie's phone from her hands. "Hey! Emily!"

Emily reached the phone well over Carrie's head. "Who is it, huh? Is it Trevor?"

"No! Give it back!" Carrie said and tried to jump for her phone. Emily pulled it back down to her and read over the message. Carrie was about to charge at her when Emily placed her hand over Carrie's face. The teenager groaned as she couldn't reach Emily.

"Hey, Carrie. I just want to let you know that I miss you. Sounds cliche," Emily said and chuckled. Carrie finally grabbed her phone.

"I hate you," Carrie said jokingly as she stuffed her phone in her pockets. She turned her attention towards JJ. "Thank you for the help, JJ."

JJ held her hands up in surrender.

"One thing I know is not to get between a heated mother and daughter duo. That's how you lose limbs and tear corneas," JJ said and gestured towards her eyes. "Besides. I'll get her back for you."

"Um, I'm standing right here," Emily said and held her hands out. JJ ran her hand over the side of Carrie's face and pulled the teenager in by her shoulders.

"Look at what you did," JJ said sarcastically over her shoulder at Emily as JJ's hands cradled Carrie's head into her shoulder. Emily rolled her eyes as she looked at Carrie. The teenager was smiling in victory. JJ pulled away from her and smoothed out Carrie's hair. "Go before you're late for class."

"Okay fine. I'll see you guys for lunch," Carrie said and ran towards her main building. JJ turned around and smacked Emily's ass hard.

"Ouch! What was that for?" Emily said and rubbed the hit. JJ gave her the look.