eleven

i'm planning on leaving out of town on monday so y'all are lucky i love you and i want to write as much as i can so y'all don't miss updates😭

also! not proofread!

happy readings and stay safe besties! -salem🤍

TW: minimal swearing, mentions of alcohol consumption
word count: 3490

Carrie: "For last year's words belong to last year's language. And next year's words await another voice." T.S. Eliot.

"What else do we need?" Emily asked as she looked over at Carrie. The teenager was resting on the cart as they both moved forward.

"Energy," Carrie said and slumped forward as the cart came to a stop. Emily chuckled as she grabbed a bottle of champagne from the shelf.

"It's not my fault you went to bed at three in the morning when I told you that we'd go to the store early," Emily scolded as she placed the bottle in the cart. Carrie rolled her eyes as they walked through another aisle. "What were you even doing?"

Carrie was up all night on the phone with Trevor. The two of them were excited and sad about the new year rolling around. It meant a new beginning for Carrie, but somewhere else other than Denver.

"Drawing," Carrie said simply. Emily knew that wasn't the case. She raised an eyebrow at Carrie. The teenager just shrugged her shoulders as they walked down the aisles. "Penelope said we needed grapes. It's some form of good luck or something."

"Mhm. I'll call her and ask her," Emily said and scanned her eyes up and down the aisle. Carrie pursed her lips as she looked over at Emily.

"Emily?" Carrie called out. The woman turned her head and hummed. She saw a curious look in Carrie's eyes. That couldn't be good. "What's going on with you and JJ?"

Emily's eyes widened. It had been almost a week since Christmas. And honestly, Emily had no idea what to call her and JJ's relationship. Everything with JJ was a mess as of right now. JJ was even considering moving out of apartment fully. Everything was just chaotic right now.

"That is an excellent question, young one," Emily said as she grabbed a random item off the shelf and looked over it. She was avoiding this conversation with Carrie.

"You're deflecting," Carrie sang out. Emily turned back to her and squinted her eyes.

"No I'm not," Emily sang out back. Carrie crossed her arms and tilted her head. "Don't give me that look."

"Bottled-up emotions become explosive," Carrie reminded Emily. The raven-haired woman rolled her eyes and set down the item back on the shelf.

"I hate that I'm doing a good job with you," Emily mumbled and bumped her hip against Carrie's. The teenager chuckled as her and Emily both pushed the cart. "I don't know. After Christmas, we haven't talked about it. I don't know how to explain it."

"Did you ask her out?" Carrie asked as they turned the corner. A woman had bumped into their cart. Emily furrowed her eyebrows as the woman glared at her.

"No?" Emily said and tilted her head. "Again, it's complicated, kiddo."

"You two are just scared. And I don't even understand why. You've had sex already," Carrie said and scrunched up her face. Emily shuttered at Carrie's bluntness. "Just ask her out. She practically lives with us already, what's stopping you?"

"Since when do you come with relationship advice?" Emily asked and furrowed her eyebrows. "Do you come with a 'clean Sergio's liter box when I ask you' button too?"