Ground Rules

Hi guys! Thanks for all of your votes!!! I have a loooonnng one for you guys. This picks up right where the last part left off and look! It has a name. Still working on names for the others. But enjoy!

-------------------------------------------------------------

Robert's POV

About 30 minutes later, I was awaken by the alarm requesting all units. Thankfully it wasn't requesting the battalion chief. I looked down to see if the alarm woke Andy but she just cuddled in closer to me. I wanted to get up but I didn't want to interrupt her sleep. I reached for my phone. Thankfully my pants were draped across my nightstand so I was able to reach them without having to get up. I set an alarm for 30 more minutes so we could get up, shower and eat.

40 minutes later I woke up to knocks at my bunk door. Somehow I missed the alarm I set. As I looked down at Andy still peacefully sleeping, I realized we both missed it. Forgetting all about the knocks, I noticed tears falling from Andy's eyes. I almost panicked until I saw a smile appear on her face. I wiped her face and kissed her forehead.

Robert - Babe, wake up

Andy then mumbled something but all I could understand was "beautiful". I started rubbing her back and called her name.

Robert - Andy

I got no response so I said her name a little louder.

Robert - Andy, baby, time to wake up.

Still nothing but then in the blink of an eye, her smile was gone and the tears started falling harder. She mumbled again and this time I the only thing I understood was "no, no, no, no". I started gently shaking her.

Robert - Andy, Wake up. It's just a nightmare. It's okay. Andy-

There was another knock. Andy then jumped up out of her sleep.

Andy - Robert?!
Robert - Hey, I'm right here. It's okay. I'm right here baby.

I pulled her into me and she just started sobbing. There was again another knock on the door.

Maya - Chief, is everything okay? Can I come in?
Robert - No! DO NOT COME IN! Give us a minute.

I panicked when I heard Maya's hand on the door handle. Andy and I were both still completely naked and the door was unlocked. After knowing for sure Maya wouldn't come in, I turned all focus to Andy.

Robert - Babe, it's okay, I've got you. Do you want to tell me about it?
Andy - I had a dream. I just gave birth to our baby girl. Robert, she was so beautiful. She had dark curly hair and she looked just like me when I was a baby but she had your eyes and your nose. They handed her to me bu-but then sh-she stopped breathing. Robert what-what if something happens to our baby?

She started to hyperventilate.

Robert - Babe. Andy. Andy! Look at me! I need you to calm down. You're stressing yourself which is going to stress her out. Breath with me.

I looked into her eyes and had her follow my breathing. After a few breaths, she finally calmed down.

Andy - Robert what if something happens to her? What if I'm like my mom? What will we do? What will you do? I-
Robert - First of all, you are NOTHING like your mother and I need you to know that and remember that.
Andy - You don't know that Robert!
Robert - Yes, I do. I can tell by the way you smile when you rub your belly. Or the way your eyes light up when we get to see her at our ultrasound visits. Or how you cried happy tears when we found out we were having a girl. Or-
Andy - Okay, okay. I got it. I'm not like my mother but the fact that I share her genes, scare me and then there's the other thing, what if something happens? Does that not scare you, seeing everything we see?
Robert - It does. It does scare me Andy but I can't think about that. WE can't think about that. We have to just enjoy what we have right here, right now. You're healthy and happy, I'm healthy and happy and as long as you stay calm, baby girl will stay healthy and happy. If there's anything that you and I should know from all of the bumps in our marriage, hell, even our relationship, is that no matter what you do or how much you try to prevent life from happening, its bound to happen and we can either live in fear or we can live each day like its our last. And I don't know about you Mrs. Sullivan but when I go, I want to go knowing that my last days were spent loving you and our baby girl. Okay? Just think about the here and now and if anything comes up, as long as we stick together and love each other through it, we will be okay
Andy - Damn it! You made me cry again
Robert - I'd much rather have you crying these tears so I don't care.
Andy - Thank you for always knowing the right thing to say. I love you
Robert - I love you too.