Pray (Yeji)

—————————————Y/N POV

—————————————
Y/N POV

Death... The end of a person's life... The one-way door that leads a person into the afterlife, severing their tides to the human world forever. It is heartbreaking; however, it is very common at your workplace.

Death comes and goes, and most of the time, it is inevitable. There is no magic or a secret potion that can avoid the grim reaper's grasp. You can't just pray to your God and suddenly become healthy again. If death wants to claim you, then it will take you.

Although it may be harsh thinking about someone's death as just an everyday occurrence, it has just been something you have gotten used to after working in the medical field for several years.

You were an ER Doctor, working in a hospital in the most populated place in Southern Korea. In this workplace, death happens all the time and around the clock. As an ER doctor, it is your duty to treat patients that require immediate medical attention, meaning you need to treat patients with life-threatening injuries or a terrible illness.

You would always try your very best to save as many of your patients as you can, sometimes... They are too late... If they lost too much blood if there's not enough oxygen in their system, if they pierced a vital organ... Bringing a patient to a hospital doesn't magically fix them... There have been many times when you have to watch as a person loses the light in their eyes, passing away while you were unable to help.

Being a doctor is not only stressful, but it can be a bomb on your mental health. The massive workload you need to become a doctor is nothing compared to the pain of watching people die in your hands. The guilt a doctor feels for not saving their patient could scar them for life.

When you first started your job at the hospital, you were doing fine for a couple of days. But as you began to gain confidence, you had one patient rushed into the ER room with countless injuries, and their life was on a thread. You tried your very best to save them, but in the end, you couldn't.

That event caused the thought of letting a person die to haunt you, clouding your mind for many months. It was only thanks to your girlfriend Hwang Yeji that allowed you to keep going, and she was the sole reason you were sane.

----------------------FlashBack------------------

Y/N: "YEJI!!! I can't do this anymore! I-I... C-Can't...," you said while breaking down into uncontrollable sobs.

You were in shambles because earlier in the day, you had a patient die mid procedure. Although it wasn't your fault, you couldn't help but blame yourself. If you were faster... If you were better... Maybe you could have saved their life...

As you sobbed, you feel Yeji pull you into a warm embrace, allowing your face to bury in her chest. As tears rolled down your face, her shirt began to dampen with your waterworks. She brushes your hair as you cry, trying to be as gentle and supportive as she can be.