CHAPTER 7

Vote, Share and Comment 💕

QOTD: Be kind to yourself.

R O M Y:

I made my way to Mel's office on shaky knees. Why on earth did he behave this way? He's a married man! I knock on her door and take a deep breath to calm myself when I hear Mel giving me permission to enter and see her settled in a plush couch. Her burgundy suit popping out on the snow white couch. She was holding a glass of what looked like Whiskey.

"Congratulations Melissa. We've come really far." I say pushing the door close and leaning on it. I give her a small smile when she looks at me. Both of our states were similar, dark circles covered by make-up, running on caffeine, sleep schedule fucked up, trying to make this deal happen, the same determined look in both our eyes.

"Come on Rogers, take a seat." She pours me a glass of Whiskey, stretches it out as an invitation. I chuckle, shaking my head as I take a seat next to her.

We sit and sip our Whiskey in silence. I feel so good right now. I was going to be a part of a huge success, all the hard work, tears, sleepless nights, the times where I almost gave up, times when I desperately held on to hope and prayers because nothing worked and all those failures, humiliations, lessons. I now felt that it was all worth it. A small smile continued to play on my lips. It seemed like we'd been enjoying the peace and quiet for an eternity before Mel said, "That Marcus Alexander Gold is a fine man, isn't he Rogers?" Her eyes were wide, shining with humor and knowingness, an eyebrow raised slightly while her lips were stretched in an all knowing smirk.

I choked on my Whiskey so bad it came out of my nose.

I could hear Melissa laughing hard, harder than I've ever seen her laugh. "I'm not blind Romy. I saw the way you looked at him." She says with a shrug. Mel is omniscient. I'm sure.

"I'm not omniscient sweetie, you were incredibly easy to read." She says with a somber expression on her face.

I feel my cheeks go hot. " Today during the conference, you wore your heart on your fucking sleeve Romy Rae." she said, her Whiskey glass was long forgotten as she stared at me seriously, waiting for an explanation.

"Melissa, we met twice, outside of the office setting, before the deal. I didn't know who he was at the time. Believe me. Then some things happened and he made me feel certain types of way. I'd never felt that with someone Mel. Just as I was trying to process all this I came to know that he was married. I-I got so heartbroken Mel. I haven't even known him that long. Today when I did see him after long I just felt things Mel." I was frantic and rushed. I'd been wanting to get it off my chest for so long now and perhaps Mel's rational perspective was what I needed to put all of this behind me.

Mel exhaled deeply and picked up her glass again. She took a big gulp of her Whiskey. She seemed to be in a turmoil about what to say to me. It shocked me, because Mel was never one to fall short of words, ever.

"Romy, I understand how certain men can make you feel all sorts of tingles, and how you want to chase that high they can give you. I was a victim too, once upon a time. Sweetie it never ends well. Those kind of intense, enigmatic, calculated men can only mean one thing ; heartbreak. And that heartbreak is harsher than any other kind, stay away from it." She had a far away look in her eye. Almost like a longing for the said enigmatic lover she left behind.

I pursed my lips not knowing what to say, I thought about what she said, Marcus Gold was a beautiful creature, smart, insanely sexy and that mysterious aura about him. He carried himself like he was the king of the world, with how rich he was, he might as well have been it. The light air of arrogance, snobbishness around, I was attracted to ALL of it. Melissa was right, this could only lead to heartbreak.

I didn't know how I would get over this infactuation of mine, but I had to. I exhaled loudly and turned my head to look at Melissa Monroe, my friend and my mentor. I thought I knew her pretty well, after all I had worked with her for years now, that sarcastic, strong, dynamic woman was nowhere in sight now. I looked at a woman in whose I saw a softness, love and admiration for the man she spoke about and sadness, at having missed out on the chance of whatever it could've been.

Suddenly I felt unsure of my opinion to keep Marcus away, I knew for sure that I would probably never get to experience that kind of magnetic pull and attraction to anyone again. Sure I'd fall in love overtime, but I'd forever be thinking of the epic love I could've shared with Marcus.

I inhaled shakily and put a hand on Mel's shoulder, I felt her frame tense under my touch, suddenly startled, as if she realized someone was watching her go through all these intense emotions she's going through. Emotions she'd kept on a tight leash for the longest time.

"Mel, I'm proud of us." Is all I chose to say.

She turned to give me a small smile, "Me too Rae, me too."

"Goodnight Mel. You know I'm here to talk to you whenever." I chose to keep saying this for the very last moment. I was saved from hearing her reply as I walked out of the door. If there was anything Melissa Monroe hated, it was sympathy or pity for her in someone's eyes. She'd assume I was pitying her and close herself off to me. But the truth was there was no pity or sympathy. There was only understanding and immense respect. To let go of what could've been a great love, no matter what the circumstances were, was a brave choice. One I didn't know if I was strong enough to make. 

As I walked towards my car I realized I had a choice to make, and an important one. 

=============

Hello My Loveys! 

How are you all? I've missed uploading chapters for y'all. This chapter was long overdue. I'm sorry for the late update. Thanks for giving my story a chance and keep showing some love by pressing the little upvote button and sharing the story with your friends and commenting.

ily people.

Until Next Time Then,

-Sri