CHAPTER 25

Vote, Comment and Share  💕

QOTD: Do it for yourself.

ROMY:

I was trembling in my bed, having finally talked to Marcus, the relief I expected to hit me was nowhere to be found. My doorbell rang, making me jump. I nervously opened the door with a very pissed-off Cassie at the door whose face softened immediately at seeing my tear-stained one. I wiped off my tears with my sleeve as Cassie lifted one of her hands to show the brown paper bag that had the logo of one of her favourite places. I sniffed, "It might take more than one bag of takeout to get me through this." It was a really long night.

"I suspected that. Andy is bringing some more food and will join us in about two hours." She replied and walked inside as I shut the door behind her. She set the food down on the coffee table and went into the kitchen to grab us some plates and cutlery. I sighed and sank into the plush sofa while I waited for her to come back. My mind went to all the dark, terrible places I'd avoided going to over the last couple of hours.

I already had to endure a bunch of yellings from Melissa, who was comforting the panicked investors. She had some choice words to throw in my face. I deserved all of them and more that was going to come my way. I was probably going to lose my job. The thought brought a fresh round of tears to my eyes. I wiped them away as I thought of Marcus. My heart ached as I recalled our last conversation. We didn't attempt to reach out to each other and it was eating away at my soul to not be next to him and comfort him.

Cassie walked into the room holding everything we needed and set the table. "Do you wanna talk about it?" She asked as she scooped food onto our plates. I nodded and gratefully accepted the plate of food. I began telling her about everything. The affair, the feelings, the breakup and the reconnection. I was in tears and the food was abandoned. "I'm gonna ask Andy to hold off on coming to visit. I'll be right back." She walked out of the room as I wiped my tears and stared at the text from Melissa:

Melissa: Take the next week off until the worst of it passes. We will discuss what needs to happen after.

Romy: Thank you. I'm really sorry for disappointing you Mel.

It was left on read. I tried to swallow the giant lump in my throat as I pieced together what I could possibly tell my parents to make them understand my side of the story. Just imagining their disappointment made me feel like throwing up.

The door bell rang once, twice. I was probably Andy with the food. Probably got here before Cass had a chance to reach him.

I opened the door to find Marcus standing there, hunched and drained. It reminded me of the first time he was here. Things were so different, we were different. There were shadows under his eyes, a hollowness about him that matched my own. I gulped, not speaking a single word. My eyes filled with tears as they met his haunted ones.

"Who's at the door Ro-'' Cassie's words got cut off as she saw who was at the door. This was not how I envisioned their first meeting going. How had things become so messed up? She stood next to me, holding my hand as a silent show of support. She stared at him harshly for a few moments, but something in her caved as her gaze softened ever so slightly. Cassie turned to me and kissed my forehead and went into the living room and came back a moment later with her coat on and her purse in her hand.

"Call me if you need anything. Don't worry about the time." I nodded.

I watched as Cassie made her way towards the elevator and slowly disappeared. Marcus stood silently throughout the entire exchange. I walked in and I heard the distinct click of the door. I made my way into the kitchen and began cleaning up the dirty counters. I heard and felt Marcus sit down in one of the chairs, serve himself a glass of water. I stopped scrubbing the counter and turned to face him.