CHAPTER 9

Vote, Comment and Share 💕

QOTD: You get what you give.

ROMY:

 I was currently in my office, avoiding Marcus and getting some paperwork done. I knew it was futile to avoid him, knowing we had to work together for the next couple months. I sighed quietly as I looked over the numbers for the second time to make sure there were no errors. I hear a knock and mumble a soft come in. My glasses kept sliding off my face as I tried to focus on the numbers, I assumed that Ana had walked in with some work. 

"Romy" that deep baritone had haunted me for days on end. I automatically stiffened and sat up straighter in my seat, he sauntered into my room with easy grace while keeping eye contact with me.  I had to work extra hard to make sure I wouldn't accidentally run into Marcus and it drained me. I exhaled audibly and motioned with my hand to take a seat in one of my chairs and pretended to return back to reading my paperwork which lost any appeal it had the minute the dark eyed beast walked into my office.

"Romy." I look up to catch him watching me intensely. The Devil was wearing glasses today.

I sigh and push my paperwork aside "Marcus, what brings you here?"

"You're avoiding me. Why?" I get distracted staring at his hands, so veiny and attractive. I look up and see that handsome face crinkled as he tried to figure me out. I wanted nothing more than to reach out and kiss that frown. Kiss the frown? What was wrong with me?

"Romy" He interrupts my thoughts, waiting for an explanation.

"Um, I'm not ignoring you. I have nothing to say to you Marcus." I state confidently.

"Oh." His handsome face twists as if in pain. My heart clenches and I want nothing more than to reach out to him. But I steel myself. I need to save myself from falling for this man who will cause nothing but pain.

I sigh as I watch him get up from his seat, I decide to clean this mess up, once and for all. "Marcus, you're married. And I have a career and too much respect for myself to let you pursue me. I just cannot be the other woman. I can't do that to another woman, being a woman myself. I hope you understand where I'm coming from and we can bury this thing and make it a thing of past." My heart hurt as I uttered the words. I watched a turbulence of emotions on his face. I wanted to offer comfort. But I couldn't. I needed him to understand and back off. But some small part of me wanted to be reckless and let go. Be with him, explore this wonderful connection. The air seemed to crackle with electricity whenever he looked at me. I wanted to get to know this beautiful man. 

"I understand." His voice was hoarse, I look down at my papers and nod, I feared my resolve would weaken if I looked into his eyes. I heard steps  toward my door and before I knew it they were fading away. 

My chest burned, my eyes were glossy with tears that I wasn't letting escape. 

Rest of the evening goes by quickly and by the end of it I couldn't be more eager to get out of the place. I put my coat on and walk out just in time to catch the elevator. I step in to find Marcus standing in a corner with his face buried in his phone. 

I gulp and move to the other corner of the elevator. It was surprisingly empty. How fucking cliche. 

I open my phone, a little annoyed at the situation and respond to all my messages. Most from Cassie and mum. Some from work.

MOM: Cassie and I talked about her keeping Waffles. I think he's gonna be spoiled rotten with her.

ME: LOL it'll be awesome. I'll visit him too.