CHAPTER 19

Vote, Share and Comment 💕

QOTD: You deserve peace, love and happiness.

ROMY:

I woke up with a killer headache, as I sat in bed, holding my phone in my hands, I hoped I received a text from Cassie, but I found nothing, from anyone. A dejected sigh slips past my lips as I slip into my robe and get started on my day.

I made quick work of getting ready and getting into my car, as I drove to work, the thought of returning home to an empty apartment haunted me. I was always comfortable with the idea of being alone, doing my own thing, yet at this point, it made me feel like I truly had no one in the world I could count on.

I shake my head and tell myself that it's a bit dramatic to feel this way just because of ONE fight with my best friend. We had fought before, we made up too. And we'll make up this time too. I exhale and shake my head stubbornly, we have to make up this time too.

I slowly turn into my office parking and carefully park my car and get out, grabbing my laptop and water bottle and start making a mental checklist for everything that needs to be accomplished today. I exhale tiredly at the long list that was now forming in my head and walk towards the building swiftly.

As I settled myself down in my cabin I realised that it was extremely early and I had plenty of time before other people started showing up. I exhale and let myself focus on the quietness in the building, so different from when the office was fully functional, there was no whirring sound of the printer, no ringing of the phones, no constant sound of the vending machine being operated. Nothing except my thoughts and the clicking sound the keyboard was making.

I take this chance to really focus on my work and get some really important pieces of work done and begin answering my emails from the day before and get the urge to go buy myself something sweet from the vending machine. It was definitely the worst timing to be eating chocolate or candy. But I decided to interrupt my work flow and buy some candy.

As I stand near the vending machine and look at all my options, contemplating between M&Ms and a Twix bar I hear footsteps get closer to the vending machine and realize someone must be coming.

I was wrong, it wasn't just someone, it was multiple someones. It was Melissa, looking like a powerful business executive in her red suit and cream shirt with my lover Marcus and his wife. I stare at him as the realization that Marcus was at the office with Annabeth soaks into my head.

I swivel towards them fully and give them a brilliant smile. I see Marcus' worry filled eyes soften at my smile. Melissa looks at me like I lost my brain, which I probably did. I never smiled this way when seeing business associates. A small professional smile? Sure. But a full blown manic, get-out-of-my-way smile? No. I could sense her worry as her eyebrow twitched while she shot me a look to get my shit under control.

"Good morning." I break the silence.

"Good Morning" I hear Melissa and Marcus' voices in unison as they respond to me. I turned to face Annabeth, who was looking at me with a strange, almost manic glint in her eyes. To an ignorant eye, she looked like a goddamn corporate goddess in her stylish hot pink and white pant suit. She knew her colours and angles and she used them that way. A stab of envy pierced through me when she clutched her purse and a ray of sunshine from the window opposite highlighted her absolutely gorgeous wedding ring as she tucked a stray blonde hair behind her ear.

I purse my lips and shoot Marcus a withering stare, for springing this shit on me unannounced and see him wince in response. Melissa takes this awkward opening as a chance to begin talking, "So Romy, Mrs. Gold is here with us today to observe our business operations today and at the end of the day, we're announcing our merger."