CHAPTER 23

Vote, Comment and Share 💕

QOTD: You're the main character

ROMY:

3 months have passed since that fateful night. I haven't seen or heard from Marcus. It hurts so much that I can't breathe sometimes. I miss him terribly but it is for the best that we move on. The news about him and Anna broke the internet. It was all anyone could talk about for days on end at work, near my home, in stores. I couldn't go a full hour without his name being mentioned. It felt like someone was pouring salt over a raw, bleeding wound. But I had no choice but to toughen up and get back to work.

Marcus and I might be over, but I still made a commitment to my work and I was going to keep it. I sigh loudly in my office as I stand up and stretch like a cat and gather my belongings. It had been a long day and I couldn't wait to go home and sleep.

I walked out of my office, stretching my arms and legs and making exaggerated groans and twisting my neck from side to side, as I knew there would be no one left in the office anyway. I was pulling late nights so that I could spare all my time for Cassie's upcoming wedding. Maid of Honor duty was no joke.

I start singing a little song in a very off-key tune as I get into the elevator and shift on my feet restlessly. I yawned in the middle of singing as I randomly dialled my mother's number to check in. Two days after breaking up with Marcus, my parents had returned, and I poured my heart and soul out to my mother who listened to me patiently and wrapped me up in a hug and rubbed my back all night, as we watched bad horror movies and ate junk food.

"Romy honey hi. Are you coming over on Saturday?" My mother's pleasant voice sounded from the other end.

"Yes mom. I will be there." I say as I fiddle with the zips on my bag.

"Good. Make sure you bring Cassandra along too. I have much planned for a girly night for us." She whispered and giggled.

I laughed, "Mom, you don't need to whisper, and yes I will bring Cassie around." I ended the call with promises to be there bright and early on Saturday morning. As the elevator doors opened, my heart stopped as my eyes landed on Marcus. I stepped back as my mouth dropped open.

"Romy-" Marcus extended his hand as if he wanted to say something. I flinched as I took another step back in the elevator. His eyes were clouded in sadness as he dropped his hand and moved away from the elevator. I pressed the button to open the doors as they started to close on their own after a moment. I stepped out with false confidence, but in reality I had no idea how I would survive this encounter. I smiled hesitantly at him and watched his entire face light up. I felt bad because it felt like I was giving him hope just through that tiny smile.

"My Love. How have you been?" He rasped as he put his hands back in his pockets and stared at me with those dark eyes of his. It was then I realized how much I missed his voice. How much I missed that endearment, 'My Love.' My eyes stung, threatening a full blown mental breakdown but I sniffed a little bit and answered, "I've been okay." I played with the straps of my bag as I thought of ways I could escape.

He stared at me desperately as we both looked for ways to fill the uncomfortable silence.

"Marcus I-"

"Romy-"

We began at the same time. We both stop for the fear of interrupting each other and chuckle a little when the hallway becomes quiet.

I broke the silence a moment later by asking "I wanted to ask how you were doing."

He smiled tiredly, and it was then I took in the dark circles around his under eyes. His proud, tall form looked just weary, like he was in need of a good nap. He chuckled as if it was the funniest thing he'd ever heard. "How am I, I'm away from the love of my life, I'm stuck with a hoyden of a wife who just refuses to goddamn divorce me, I never sleep or eat enough and I miss you, I fucking miss you Romy. That's how I am." By the end of his rant he is furiously walking up and down the isolated hallway, trying to calm himself down and tears are streaming down my cheeks as my heart cries out in pain for the both of us.