At Last

"I feel like I'm disappointing you" Tom says with a rough sigh, hands intertwined as his head drops low. You look up to him, your wine glass in hand. 

"What do you mean?" you cock an eyebrow with confusion. He looks back up to you and combs his hand through his wavy hair. He sighs once more. 

"I know you said you wanted something small to do for your birthday.. But I feel like this is so boring" he admits, looking off to the empty tables at a small local restaurant of his pick. 

You both had empty schedules for your birthday. Tom jumped in to celebrate with you weeks in advance. But you gave him clear instructions of nothing big, eye-catching and special as you just needed a break from the public-eye, especially since it's your birthday. So it cut his options down big time. 

"I'm with you, it's perfect" you reassure him with a gentle smile. 

Oh how he hated that you always gave him mixed signals. You just always said those small remarks that sparked something in his heart. Or gave him small physical affection through a kiss to to cheek or wrapping your arms around his broad chest from behind. But they always seemed to be followed by a mention of your relationship complications.

You have been close friends with Tom for a few years now. He always had a small crush on you, he would have asked you out within the first few weeks of knowing you. But you had a boyfriend at the time. Yet after filming a motion picture youse will be starring in together, his feelings have gone through the roof and he fears nothing will be able to bring them down. 

"This food is terrible" he comments. He drops his fork, staring at his clearly well done steak when he asked for medium rare. You look to your half eaten pasta and nod to him with agreement. It's decided that you will not risk having dessert here. 

He kicks himself for not deciding to cook you the 5 course meal at home with all of your favourite dishes. He just felt like it would have been too special, too romantic. He couldn't risk ruining his relationship with you from the feelings he can't seem to control. 

"So what's next?" you ask him curiously. 

Tom's eyes widen at your question. You wanted more from him? He had nothing else planned as he assumed that you would just be tired. He quickly comes up with an answer. 

"We go back to mine?" he clenches his jaw at his mindless answer. You cock an eyebrow to him yet again. "We can get a cake on the way and have some more wine" he adds, giving a soft smile. 

"Sounds idyllic" you grin. 

Youse drop by a surprisingly open cake shop on the way back to Tom's. He insists you pick since it's your birthday so you settle with the classic vanilla butter cake. He pays for it of course. As soon as youse enter his house, he pops open another bottle of white wine. 

He curses as he searches his kitchen draws for candles. You're sitting by the bench watching him with amusement. You giggle at him before sipping on your wine. He cheers when he finds a single plainly white candle and presses it into the cake. Tom slides the cake over to you and grabs a lighter. The single candle is lit and Tom begins to sing happy birthday to you in a perfect tone. 

"Make a wish" he grins, leaning on the countertop. You close your eyes and make your wish as you blow out the candle. 

Tom hands you a knife and drinks his wine. You cut to the bottom of the cake and stare up to Tom. You can't help but to stare into his gorgeous blue eyes for a bit too long. But Tom stares back at you, his elbow rests on the countertop as his hand props his head up. Tom can't resist but to turn his gaze onto your soft lips.

"Want to know my wish?" you say softly, still staring into his eyes. Tom's anxiety rises. He waits patiencely for you to continue. "You, all of you, just you. To be with you Tom" you confess to him. 

Tom clears his throat and stands up straight. He steps over to you and wraps his arms around your torso. Bringing you closer, he admires your beauty. 

"You don't know how much I've longed for you to say that" he confesses back as he kisses you ever so tenderly.

At last.