Rescue Mission // Enchanted Forest

Kyla heard the sheath of David's sword and stepped back from the window. 

"Has she ever come back?" She asked, breathless. 

"Not in the year I've been here," he answered quickly. 

Kyla looked up at Flynn, an ache replacing the fear she was feeling for David. 

"What is it?" He asked. 

"I have to go," she said in a small voice. 

"You do," he said. He saw the look in her eyes and grabbed her hands. "I feel it too, Kyla," he said, not meeting her eyes. "I don't know what this is, but I feel it. And in my heart, I know you will come back for me." 

Her heart beat faster and faster. She looked up, finally able to meet his eyes. They showed he was sincere. He raised one of his hands and gently touched her cheek.

It was as if a million butterflies were released into her stomach all at once and she wondered if this was the feeling of love that everyone was talking about. Could it happen so soon? 

Suddenly, she felt a shock rush through the hand that was held by his. She jumped back, noticing him doing the same. 

"What was that?" He asked, not in a fearful tone, more curious. 

"Magic," was all she could whisper, staring at her hands.

"I thought you said you didn't have any."

She looked up at him again, searching his eyes. Then, she grabbed his hands once more, feeling the electricity fill her body and welcoming it.

"It seems that with you, I do," she said, a smile appearing on her face. 

"Will it stay long enough to fight her off?" He asked, releasing her hands. Kyla followed him to the window. 

"No," she answered. "I can already feel it fading."

They looked at each other once more, knowing they had to separate. 

She took in a deep breath, jumped up to the ledge and pulled her hair into her hands, twirling it like a lasso. She caught the rope that lowered the bucket and was able to create her pulley down. She turned to him and with a smile, said, "I'll be back soon." 

She didn't wait for a reply. As fast as she could, she swung through the air, lowering herself to the ground. As soon as she was down, she pulled her clip into her hair and allowed it to re-wrap itself. With another deep breath, she concentrated on David's heartbeat, her eyes searching aimlessly in the dark. 

She heard David's sword moving through the air and ran toward the sound. Flynn was watching from the window, but she refused to look up, afraid to feel anymore heartbreak than she had in the last few weeks. 

Kyla ran as fast as she could until she could see David. The witch was moving toward him, but stopped once Kyla approached. She looked a phantom with a black robe and hood covering her entire body. A bad feeling rushed through Kyla and immediately she knew it wasn't the witch. 

The being turned, its ghostly face staring into Kyla's eyes.  She was taken back, her heart beating faster and faster. Its eyes were blue, its body long and lean, and it held some sort of smirk on its faint face. 

"Run," Kyla said in a low voice. David was breathing heavily and she could feel his fear turn to confusion. 

"What?" He asked, not understanding. 

Kyla took in a deep breath and made a choice. 

She allowed her magic to fade and instead of fighting, she bolted toward David, screaming at him to run.