Saving the Town // Storybrooke

With Tamara in town learning about the real-life fairytales that inhabited the place, Emma was growing oddly suspicious of her. Emma had claimed that she had a "superpower" and could tell when someone was lying. Her radar had been going off like an alarm ever since Tamara got to Storybrooke. Everyone, though, passed it off as a hint of jealousy toward Neal's new fiancee. Emma swore she had no feelings left for Neal, but Kyla knew better. 

"Look," Kyla had said when they had a moment alone at the Sheriff Station, "I don't talk about it often, but I can feel other's emotions. My magic comes from a special flower and with that came the power of empathy, so I know you still have feelings for Neal."

"Kyla," Emma started, but Kyla put up a hand to stop her. 

"However," she continued, "I'm also getting a weird vibe from Tamara. And unlike everyone else, I trust your judgment and really don't believe that you'd put us in jeopardy just to get your ex back."

"Thank you," Emma breathed. "I think I'll always love Neal, I just can't let Henry know that. He already thinks that if he tries hard enough, we'll get back together."

"Yeah, I can see that," Kyla agreed. 

"But Tamara is up to something. She had a list of all of your names and who you were in the Enchanted Forest," Emma said. 

"Okay, creepy. But what are you going to do about it?" Kyla asked. 

"Well, I'm going to need all the help I can get from my partner," she said, smirking at Kyla. 

"Oh, so we're partners now? I thought that was reserved for your dear father who I think still believes he's the sole sheriff of this town," she teased, rolling her eyes toward the end of her statement. Emma laughed. 

"Yeah, well, I'd rather have you on my side," she said with a smile. 

"Okay, then," she said, leaning her elbows on Emma's desk, "so what's our first move, boss?" 

"I may need you to distract Neal," she said. 

Kyla nodded. "Not a problem." Then, Emma sighed. 

"Are you ever going to tell me how you know Neal? Or Hook?" 

Kyla smiled and shook her head, politely. "If it were important, I swear I'd tell you. Speaking of, have you heard anything from the pirate?" 

Emma shook her head. "And I'm a little worried. He could be hiding out here."

"I wouldn't be. The worst he's going to do is try to kill Gold and get killed himself. Now that Belle is...kind of back in his life, he's not going to let anyone get near her."

"Which is weird, right? I mean, you're going to tell me that that is the person Regina created in the curse?"

"Yeah, I really don't know how that works. She made some of us so drastically different," Kyla answered, shuddering at the memory of her goody-two-shoes alter ego. 

"I definitely like this version of you better," Emma said, almost under her breath. 

"Thank you!" Kyla said in agreement. They both laughed, enjoying a bonding moment between the only two sane people in all of Storybrooke. Then, she decided to ask, "How are you doing after August?" 

Emma sighed, leaning back in her chair. "At least he's not dead. But Tamara did try to kill him."

"And you're sure about that?" 

"She had to be the 'her' August was talking about."

"Yeah, but why him? What do you think he knew?" Kyla asked. Emma shrugged.