Baelfire // An Enchanted Island

Rapunzel walked through the wooded area. The camp she had gotten to know as home was only a few feet away from her. She knew he was there waiting for her, craving her company. Still she walked away from it, knowing what was on the other side. 

The night had been endless. She couldn't remember the last time she saw the daylight, but it didn't bother her, not anymore. She wandered, knowing he would know exactly where she was and what she was doing, but he hadn't stopped her yet. He would, though, if it made him angry enough. 

Unlike other visitors, she was not naive. She was aware of her surroundings and smarter than most other people. It was something she learned from the Dark One. After walking for some time, she found exactly what she was looking for: the cave. 

It was eerily quiet as she entered, looking for the boy. He sat in the corner, oblivious to her entry, writing on the stone walls with a make-shift piece of chalk. Rapunzel walked closer to him, clearing her throat to announce her presence. The boy jumped, fear entering his body. 

He was young, couldn't be more than 14. He had long shaggy brown hair and looked like he hadn't had a nice meal in ages. 

"What's your name?" She asked, her voice stone cold. He gulped. 

"Baelfire," he answered. 

"I've seen you around here," she said, tracing the walls as she walked around his cave. "You're different than most of the people who end up here."

"I'm just trying to get home," he answered. 

"And where is home?" She asked. 

"Why? So you two can follow me? Hurt my family? No, thanks." 

Bold. She was impressed. 

"Let me tell you something, Baelfire," she said, crouching down to his level, "no one who has a family they care about end up here." 

"Even when they're trying to protect their family?" 

"Even then," she answered. 

"I just want to get back to them." 

Rapunzel paused for a moment, watching the boy carefully. The fear had washed away and all that was left was emptiness. 

"How did you end up here?" 

"Like I said: I was protecting my family. Don't you have a family you want to get back to?" He asked. 

She turned her head, motioning outside of the cave. "They are my family."

"Well, then I feel bad for you." 

"Don't feel bad for me, kid. You know," she said, attempting to be motherly, "a lot of the boys really do enjoy it here. Maybe if you get to know them...get to know us even." 

"I want nothing to do with him," Baelfire said quickly. This shocked Rapunzel. "Even so, the boys are miserable here. They cry all night long, longing for their homes. But you wouldn't know that because you're too busy with him."

She focused in on his emotions. He wasn't angry, he wasn't even trying to be rude. His emotions were back and forth, but deep down, she felt a sadness from him she hadn't felt in a long time, since Rumplestiltskin left her. So she decided to try again. 

"Look," she said, sitting down near him, "I understand how you're feeling." 

"I thought you said this was your family," he retorted. 

"Yeah, but they haven't always been my family. You know how that works, I'm sure. I had this really great teacher a while back," she started, realizing she couldn't remember how long ago it was, "he taught me everything I know. We enjoyed our time together, or at least I thought we did. That was, until, he abandoned me. He sent me here. For what reason? I'm still not sure. But I took what I could and I made my own life here," she explained. Baelfire wasn't buying it. "You know it's impossible to leave," she said, taking a different approach.