Friendship // Neverland

*Many years ago in Neverland*

Rapunzel walked through the dark forest. She couldn't remember the last time she'd seen the sun and missed its gentle touch. What she would give for a blue sky and a cool breeze to remind her of a change of the season. Instead, the air was muggy, the night was long and any hope of having the adventure she was promised was gone. 

Rumplestiltskin. 

How could he do this to her? 

The only saving grace she could find was Peter. He took her in. He made her feel cherished, even understood. She felt at peace when she was with him. 

Unfortunately, he had business to attend to. Peter was the only one allowed to leave the island in an attempt to find the boy he was searching for. 

Loneliness accompanied her on her walk. Silence had become her friend. 

She didn't want to admit it to herself, but she was lost without him. 

Rapunzel heard footsteps behind her, slow, thoughtful steps. She didn't sense danger nor did she feel urgency. Just someone keeping a close distance, not wanting to bother her.

But it also didn't want to be alone.

She stopped her slow walk, turning slightly, but not completely. 

"Captain," she said. He stopped in his tracks.

"Your Majesty," he answered, his voice careful. 

Rapunzel finally turned around. "What's the matter? Lost all of your bravado?" 

Hook didn't answer. He didn't even crack a smile. 

"What are you doing here?" Rapunzel continued. "I thought you were out sailing around?" 

"Pan is gone," Hook said flatly. "I wanted to stretch my legs."

"And you can only do that when Peter's not here?" She asked, confused.

"It's easier. Less likely to be manipulated."

Her eyes narrowed. "What are you insinuating?" She asked. 

"I'm not talking about you," he said. 

Rapunzel rolled her eyes. "You may as well be," she said, leaning her back against the tree along the trail. "I think I'm missing my captor," she said with a chuckle. 

"You are?" He asked. 

"There will always be a part of me that loves him, Killian. That I can't control. However, I'm not stupid. I know he's draining my power."

"I was going to ask how you were feeling," he said sheepishly. She shrugged. 

"How do I look?" She asked, knowing the answer. 

"Exhausted."

"That's what happens when magic is drained."

"How do we stop it?" He asked, suddenly urgent. 

In the past few weeks, they'd grown fond of each other. Maybe not a friendship, but they were allies. Rapunzel wasn't stupid. She couldn't understand how Pan thought her to be. She felt everything, even his slow, subtle betrayal. 

All he wanted was her magic. 

Just like all Hook wanted was his revenge. 

And all Rapunzel wanted was her freedom. 

But, in some silly, childlike way, she believed she could change Pan's heart with an act of true love. She wanted something to awaken his heart again. He was so preoccupied finding the boy, he couldn't see what was right in front of him.