Unfinished Business // The Underworld

As Pan walked up to Kyla, attempting to embrace her, she stepped back in defense. 

"I don't understand," she said, "what are you doing here?"

He chuckled. "You're surprised I have unfinished business?"

"I'm surprised you're not burning in hell," she said, her voice harsher than she intended. 

He pointed at her. "That's fair." He took a step forward. "I never thought I'd see you again."

"Same here," she said, this time unmoving. "Of course you'd be working with Hades."

"I'm not working with Hades," he said with a shake of his head. "How did it happen?"

"How did what happen?" She asked, confused. 

"How did you die?" 

Kyla laughed. "I'm not dead."

Pan straightened. "Hades said you were coming. He was preparing for you."

She scoffed. "It's a long story. One I'm not sure I'm ready to share with you."

"But you're here," he said, a smile on his face. "You came to see me." 

"I came here because you're my unfinished business," she answered honestly. 

"So, you almost died," he said, his voice suddenly sad. 

"We're not doing this," she said. "Why are you here?" 

"I think you know-"

"What's your unfinished business?" She asked, her impatience growing. 

"Oh, Rapunzel," he said, another step toward her, "you must know it's you."

He lifted his hand to touch her face, but she swiped it away. 

"To do what?" She asked. "Kill me?"

Pan exhaled, taking a moment to collect his thoughts. "I wasn't in my right frame of mind toward the end," he said. "I was being swallowed up by pride and power. It was at my fingertips and I couldn't let it go." 

"Like father like son," she muttered. 

"Yes, Rumple did end up just like me. However, he chose family when the moment was right. I've had a lot of time to think about what I did to you and to him, and I'm truly sorry. I'm sorry I took your magic. I'm sorry I hurt you so badly."

She didn't break her gaze from him. She could feel his sincerity, but nothing could sway her anymore. 

"I've moved on," she said. 

He paused, leaning away from her. "Moved on?" 

The darkness was lingering in his voice, but she didn't care. There was nothing he could do to her here that could hurt her. 

At least she hoped. 

"Yes. I have someone new in my life. A true love." 

"Ah, yes, Flynn Rider, right?" 

Kyla's eyes widened. She could feel warmth from her hands. 

"How do you know his name?" 

"Hades mentioned him when he mentioned you," Pan said with a shrug. "I'm not hurt, Rapunzel, truly. I understand. But, you can't tell me that he understands you completely." 

"He does," she said without hesitation. 

"He understands abandonment?" He asked. 

"His parents died when he was very young."