°Chapter twenty seven°

Donghyuck had not gotten out of his father's lap as they were still seated in the driver's seat. Johnny continued rubbing the boy's back, whispering 'i love you's' in his ear for a source of reassurance.

The younger boy would have thought he would be getting scolded at by his father for everything, for running out the house, for raising his voice, for cursing, but he didn't. Johnny just kept him held tightly, still cautious enough of Donghyuck's wounded stomach, as he kept apologizing to the tanned male.

"Donghyuck," Johnny called out softly and the said boy unwrapped his arms from around his father's neck and sat up, facing the older man.

"I know.... I'm sorry," Donghyuck apologized with guilt and Johnny only shook his head with a small smile.

"You have nothing to apologize for, Hyuckie. It's me who should be apologizing to you because I caused you so much pain that I didn't even realize anything you were going through," Johnny explained as Donghyuck listened intently.

"You asked if we knew what it was like earlier, with everything you've been going through. And the answer to that question would unfortunately be yes. Maybe not to your extent, but I do know the feeling of being neglected, unwanted, not loved, and looked down upon by my own parents," Johnny exclaimed and Donghyuck's mouth drew open slightly.

"But I thought uncle Taeil loves you?" The tanned male asked and Johnny giggled a bit.

"He does and I love him as well. He's the one who saved me from my miserable life. He took me away from my biological parents because they treated me terribly and," Johnny paused as he felt a sting in his eyes occur, tears slowly spilling. "A-and I made a promise to myself that I would never become like them. I promised that I would love my children dearly and take care of them to the best of my ability, but obviously I failed to keep that promise."

Was he telling all this to Donghyuck because he wants his son to feel bad for him while he has a reason to justify his behavior towards him? Was he telling him this because he's trying to prove what Donghyuck is going through is less worse than what he went through? No, and Donghyuck knows this very well by the sincerity and guilt invading the older man's tone.

Donghyuck felt his own hit tears streaming down his face as he listened and watched his father carefully. Donghyuck can forgive him, but he will never forget anything he and Ten has done to him. Call him selfless, but he sympathizes for his father. He is just now finding out that his father's past life was terrible and he wouldn't want to wish anything like that upon anyone.

"I'm not telling you this to forgive me because I know I haven't treated you the way a father should. But I'm telling you this because I want you to know that you aren't alone. Whoever it is you're talking to, please continue to do so. It's not good to hold any of this in and I really want you to trust me, but I know that's hard to do after everything. Donghyuck, I'm so sorry. I really do love you so much and it was never my intention to hurt you nor was it your papa's either," Johnny informed him and Donghyuck only stared at the older man with his wet bruised eyes, nodding reluctantly.

"We're not expecting you to open up so easily to us, but please do know that we are here for you and we care about you so much. We're so proud of how far you've come," Johnny clarified as Donghyuck sniffled.

"Dad.....I love you," Donghyuck felt his eyes welling again, though they never really stopped in the first place.

Johnny pulled Donghyuck back in for a tight hug, using one of his hands to cup the back of the tanned male's head while crying.

"I love you too, Donghyuck. I'm so sorry," Johnny repeated, slowly swaying them side to side while the older man caressed Donghyuck's hair.

They hadn't even realized how much time has passed by as they felt comfort in each other's arms as a father and son should. Darkness overcame the light and that was when it was time to go home. Johnny open his car door and carried Donghyuck to the passenger side door, placing the smaller boy inside before walking back over to the driver's side.