Gone

Theos POV. 10pm.

Today was rough.

I ended up staying at work later than I wanted to by almost three hours, and I still needed to go to the store and get flowers for Liam. Luckily, we had a 24 hour supermarket.

Today was our nine month anniversary since we became official and although that's not normally a huge milestone anniversary, I had big plans for tonight. 

I was going to propose. 

When I parked, I texted Liam, letting him know I was finally off work. He didn't respond right away, but I didn't think too much of it. Knowing him, he had forgotten his phone in his jacket.

Again.

Chuckling to myself, I walked into the store, immediately heading to the flowers. Liam wasn't picky about stuff like this and normally I wasn't either, but I wanted these to be nice.

I was finally gonna ask him to marry me. I'd only been wanting to do it for a few months now, ever since he graduated high school, but didn't know if he was ready for that big of a step. 

We'd talked about it a few times and he'd told me he knew we were meant to be forever. Not just because we were mates, but because we had a connection. An intense love that kept us together no matter what. And we'd been through a lot! Enough for a lifetime as far as I was concerned. 

That's why we got an apartment so far away from the others. Still close enough to visit easily, but far enough away so we weren't in the center of the beacon that this town was.

Moving just out of city limits was one of the smartest things we'd done. It was quiet and calm, we had nice enough neighbors that mostly kept to themselves and we just enjoyed the atmosphere. 

After deciding on a bouquet of white Roses and baby's breath, I paid and left. The thought of Liam's smile and laugh playing in my head, made me grin widely as I drove to our apartment.

Tonight might not be some big huge romantic evening that you'd see in a movie, but as long as we're together, I knew everything would be okay. I just had to ask and hope he said yes. 

Lydia told me she thought Liam was ready for it. I'd gone to her for advice because she really was the best friend you could ever want. She'd been supportive of Liam and I from day one. I trusted her.

So I picked out the perfect ring and decided to do it tonight. Liam said he had something to tell me too, so I figured we could get our surprises done on the same night. 

After pulling up and parking, I made my way to the door, stopping suddenly though when I saw it was cracked open. Liam was not the type to just leave the front door like that.

I gave the air a quick sniff, but all I could smell from out here was chicken and rice.

Oh...he cooked.

I smiled, then shook my head and tensed up, walking closer to the door. I peeked in and took another sniff of the air. "Liam? Babe?"

There was no answer and the air smelled stale. Different. Wrong. This wasn't right.

I kept my guard up. Alert and ready for anything as I walked further in. "Liam? Babe, answer me, where are you?" Still no answer and I still couldn't pick out any scent of him. 

I noticed his jacket on the back of the couch and his phone on the ground. 
Panic washed over me and I rushed to it, picking it up. The screen showed my number. He had tried to call me.

"Liam...where are you? Come on Theo pick up something! Anything!" I took a deep breath and closed my eyes, trying to find a hint of anything.

And there it was. 

Hunters. 

They had a distinct smell. Like woods and sour milk. They smelled evil. I knew some weren't. Argent was a pretty good friend, but these were not friendly Hunters. After dealing with one's like these in the past, I knew this was not something to take lightly.

They had Liam. They had my mate. I didn't care how many of them there were, they would pay for this! 

I put Liam's phone in my pocket and pulled mine out, already heading back to my truck. Panic coursing through my body and evident in my breathing.

I dialed Scott's number. I wasn't gonna be stupid and go into this alone. Hunters could be just as dangerous as we were.

Besides, maybe having the true Alpha helping would scare them enough to leave Liam alone. Although, one would think that would have helped in the first place.

Unless that's exactly why they took Liam.

My eyes widened as Scott's phone went to voice-mail. "Son of a bitch!" They took Liam because he was Scott's Beta.

Shit! If they hurt him...

I growled and started my truck, heading to Scott's house, only now regretting living so far away.

11pm.