Just hold me

"N-no...stop." A shuddering gasp filled the empty silence of the room. Pained whines following after it, disturbing the softness of the early morning.

Ragged breaths came in quick sharp puffs of air as limbs twitched and jerked, feeling too heavy to move.

Not again. Not another dream plagued by nightmare-like memories of the past. Taunting and teasing, leaving their mark in a sinister movie-real, to be relived in a loop behind closed eyelids. In the dark and unknown by everyone except the dreamer.

_______________________________________

Theo's POV

My eyes opened suddenly, a feeling of panic washed over me. My heart was pounding and I felt anxious.

I didn't know why I'd startled awake, but something didn't seem right. Something didn't smell right. Liam's scent. It smelled like...fear.

I turned, looking at Liam sleeping beside me on the bed.

How did he get so far away from me?

When we fell asleep, he was in my arms. I furrowed my eyebrows, placing my hand on my chest to calm my heart rate before focusing fully on Liam.

He was facing away from me, curled up and hugging himself. He looked uncomfortable and tense.

I scooted over, carefully pulling his body back to mine and soothing a hand over his stomach. He shook in my arms.

Is he dreaming?

He whimpered out, sounding anxious and alarmed. The sound broke my heart. He looked pitiful, grabbing onto me in a panic as his face tensed up again.

"Liam, baby, wake up. It's just a dream." I watched tears form in the corners of his eyes and gasped. "Liam, please wake up."

I pulled him closer, hugging him to my chest. One hand combing through his hair as I tried to give off a safe scent. "You're okay. You're okay. I'm here, babe. You're safe."

He whimpered again and I wanted to cry myself. My chest felt tight and my stomach churned. I hated seeing him like this.

I hated that I couldn't do much to help except hold him. Holding back my tears got harder every time this happened. I felt weak. Useless.

I was his mate. I should be able to help him more than this. I wish more than anything that I could take this from him and be the one in pain.

His body was trembling in my arms and I wanted nothing more than to make it stop. To go back in time and be there that night.

I know I could have protected him. I could have stopped the hunters and things wouldn't have ended up this way. With his mind haunted with these nightmares.

When he whimpered again, I hugged him closer. "Liam, baby, please wake up. I'm here. I'm right here. You're safe. You and the pup both are."

His eyes snapped open and he heaved out, startling me. "Hey, it's okay. I'm right here. It was just a dream." He looked at me blankly for a moment, then started to sniffle

His expression broke my heart, making my chest pang painfully. He looked like a hurt and confused child. He looked betrayed. It stung.

Scott said I shouldn't blame myself. He said it wasn't my fault, but it's moments like this that deep down I know I still blame myself.

It took him a moment to realize where he was and who I was, but once he did, he tucked his face into my neck, heaving out as he tried to calm himself.

I just held him. Wrapping my arms around him protectively. Shushing him gently and reassuring he was okay.

"I'm here. I've got you." Slowly, his heart beat matched mine, mimicking my tempo.

I relaxed, cradling his head as he nuzzled his nose into my neck, breathing my scent in deeply. "Theo?" His voice sounded hopeful. Like he was now fully realizing who I was.

It worried me slightly that it took him so long to calm down, but I remember the nightmares I got as a kid. Sometimes they were just that rough on the mind.

"Yeah, I'm here, baby. I'm here. I've got you." His body went lax against me, completely relaxing as I pulled the blankets over us.

I moved a hand down to his stomach, rubbing it gently and listening for the pup's heart beat. It was a little faster then I'd like, but was slowly calming down as Liam did.

Despite how worried I was, I found myself smiling. My little family. My mate and my pup. Everything would be okay.

Liam hummed out softly as he shifted, getting comfortable. "W-what time is it?" He yawned, making the most adorable noise at the end.

How is he so cute?

I glanced at the clock, squinting slightly to focus on the red block numbers. "Um...five-thirty...two?" I shrugged then kissed his head.

He hummed in response then moved his head up to look at me. Instinctively, I moved my hand to his cheek, thumbing away his tears as I held his gaze.

His eyes were still glossy from crying, but he was just hiccuping now. "Thanks...sorry I woke you." He sighed and looked away, biting his lip.

"Huh, hey, you don't have to apologize for anything, baby. I'm just glad you're okay." My gaze fell to his lip and I frowned, moving my thumb to gently stop him. "Are you okay?"

When I pulled at his bottom lip it popped out, slightly red now from his chewing.

He nodded, leaning his head into my touch. "Yeah, I'm...I'm okay now." I nodded, stroking his cheek and helping him lay back down against me.

"Was it another memory? Do you wanna talk about it?" He took in a slow deep breath and I stayed quiet, letting him decide.

After telling me and Scott everything, I hoped he'd tell me. To be honest though, I wasn't sure whether he wanted to share any more yet or not. He was so drained after everything that happened today, I definitely wasn't going to push him.

I just rubbed his back, reassuring him he really was okay.

"No...not really. Can...can you just hold me?" My heart melted and I nodded, pulling him closer. "Of course." I kissed his head, nuzzling my nose into his hair.

His scent filled my nose and relaxed me. He was calm now and breathing slowly. "I love you, Liam."

My hand moved back to his stomach, rubbing small circles. He sighed happily, smiling as he closed his eyes. "I love you too, Theo." He yawned one more time before falling asleep, looking content and happy.

He was okay. For now. I knew eventually we'd need to talk about this, but for now I was content to just hold him and go back to sleep.

We still had all morning before we'd need to get ready and go so he could rest all he wanted. I found myself waiting till he was fully asleep before closing my eyes.

This pup's life had started out really rough, but I knew by the time the pup was born, we'd be the perfect little family. In so many ways we already were.

"I love you too, little one." My voice was barely above a whisper and as I started to fall asleep, I felt the pup move. It was such a small movement, but it meant the world to me.

Yeah, we're gonna be just fine.

_______________________________________