Chapter Twelve

Chapter Twelve

How could Demetri do something like this? Was I just his blood bag? Did I mean nothing to him?

“Everyone enjoy the remainder of the party!” King Lucien exclaimed, leaving the stage and merging with the crowd.

As the guests went back to dancing and socializing, I stole one last look at Demetri. His sapphire eyes met mine.

No matter how hurt I may feel, he deserves someone better than me. I’m just a lowly peasant. What could I possibly offer him? He’s known Jules longer. There must be a reason he agreed to marry her.

I looked away and turned for the door. I should probably leave. If I ask the king to become a servant again, he would probably get upset or ask me why. It’s be awkward to be Demetri’s slave after today. The best thing I can do is distance myself from him. Maybe my parents will take me back in once I explain my whereabouts.

I got outside and headed towards the front gates. Someone grabbed my arm tightly and I looked to see a guard with an angry look on his face.

“Where do you think you’re going?” He asked me.

“Home.” I simply answered.

“No one leaves the palace.” He growled.

He began dragging me back towards the palace entrance. I tried to pull free but he only gripped on to me tighter, making my struggling useless.

“Release me.” I ordered through clenched teeth.

“Let her go.” Demetri came from the palace.

The guard immediately released me and bowed to Demetri who made his way over to me.

“Where are you going?’ He asked me.

“I’m going home.” I tried to keep calm and not lash out at him. “I’m obviously not needed here anymore. My family could use me back home. I appreciate all you’ve done for me. It was very kind of you.” I curtsied and looked him over one last time, not wanting to forget him. “It was a pleasure serving you, your highness.”

I turned to walk away, but Demetri reached out and stopped me. He spun my around and pulled me to him, locking his lips with mine. I felt the spark that I always feel when he kisses me, yet this one was slightly different. More passionate. One of his hands rest on the small of my back and the other was tangled in my hair. He then moved his lips to my neck. Just when I thought he was going to bite me and I was going to push him away, he moved close to my ear and whispered, “I love you Ellie.”

He pulled away and looked at me, a small smile on his lips. I simply stared at him, not believing he confessed his love for me.

“I always have.” He continued. “Those times when my sister wanted to end your life… the look in your eyes was so innocent and lovable, I couldn‘t help saving you. I fell instantly, but I didn’t want to believe it. I’m a prince and you’re a peasant. There was no way it would work out between the two of us. But when I accepted my love for you, I immediately became happier. I know it may not seem like it, but you’re my everything.”

I took in everything that he said. If he really feels this way about me, why did he agree to marry Jules? It doesn’t make sense.

“Then explain your engagement.”
“It was easier to agree to my father’s arrangement than to tell him about us. I don’t care about Jules in that way.”
“Demetri, I don’t want to continue to hide our relationship. I know that it’s illegal and there are serious consequences, but if you really love me you wouldn’t hide it. You would tell your father about us. I may just be a peasant, but I do deserve better. I refuse to be your slave while Jules is hanging around, thinking that you love her. I’m better off at home with my family.”