Chapter Four (Rewritten)

Chapter Four

"May I have your attention please!" King Lucien shouts over the crowd, instantly ceasing all conversation. He stands on the platform before his throne wearing a tailored black suit. "Thank you all for joining me for such an honorary occasion. As you all know, the law states that at the age of 18 the betrothal of the royal child is announced." A betrothal? The royals have arranged marriages? "Rosalinda, dear."

He stretches his hand out and helps Princess Rosalinda onto the platform. Her red ball gown is adorned with diamonds that reflect in the light as she moves. Her long black hair is curled and partially pinned back with matching diamond pins. She looks like one of the porcelain dolls I used to see in the window of the toy shop. If possible, she's even more stunning than the first time I saw her.

"This, ladies and gentlemen, is my most beautiful daughter Rosalinda." King Lucien announces with an affectionate smile. The Princess gives a small curtsy and stands beside her father with her hands clasped in front of her. Her face is expressionless just as her brother's usually is. "My Rosalinda has grown so much in these past years. She is officially of age and her betrothed can finally be announced to the rest of you. "Eric, will you join us please?" Prince Eric wears a grin on his face as he steps up onto the platform and bows to the King and Princess. "Princess Rosalinda and Prince Eric are to be wed. Their union will join the kingdoms of Morsallia and Paxenia forever." Prince Eric reaches out and gently takes the Princess's hand. He kneels before her as he brings her hand to his lips and places a kiss.

"I promise to love and cherish you until the day I take my last breath." Prince Eric says.

"And I promise to do the same, my Prince." A smile spreads across the Princess's face, however it seems forced and somewhat awkward. I'm sure being arranged to marry someone isn't what she wants at all. To not marry for love, but for alliance. Despite how cold she is, I feel bad for her.

The room erupts with applause at the announcement. Arm in arm, Princess Rosalinda and Prince Eric descend the platform and accept congratulations from the guests, the awkward smile still plastered on the Princess's face.

"Elizabeth." My name draws my eyes away from the new couple. An arm slips around my waist as I look over to see Prince Nicholai.

"Oh, your highness." I say with a small smile and curtsy.

"Really, you don't have to do that every time we meet." He protests. "Really, I should be the one bowing to you, beautiful." My cheeks flush and I look away so he won't see. "Come with me? I want to take you someplace."

"Take me someplace?" I ask with wide eyes. "I, uh... I don't know if I should leave the ball. W-what if my boss needs me to help with something? I'm sure he'd be upset if I was nowhere to be found. He's really strict and..."

"Elizabeth." He says, stopping my rambling. "It'll only be a minute" He reassures me. "No one will even notice you were gone." I look into his blue eyes and that feeling of being pulled out to sea returns.

"Just a minute?" I ask to be sure.

"Yes, I promise." He smiles.

I let him take my hand in his before following his lead through the crowd. We exit the large ball room and he leads me down the hall, the noise of party drifting away. I follow him down a series of hallways, completely losing track of where we are.

"Um, Prince Nicholai, where are you taking me?" I ask, suddenly started to feel nervous.

"You'll see." He says, giving my hand a reassuring squeeze.