Chapter Sixteen

Chapter Sixteen

There was a knock at the king’s door, making me jump. That must be the guards. My time to run is up.

“Let’s go now.” He said. He began to pull me to the nearby window.

“No.” I said, stopping.

“What?”

“No we’re not running away together.”
He gave me a hurt look and it almost broke my heart. I hate seeing him look at me like that.

“I’m not taking you away from your perfect life. You’re a Prince.”

“I’m giving it all up.”

“No. I’m not going to let you. You have everything that you want and need here. Your father and sister love you. I even think Jules loves you. You can’t just leave them behind. They’re your family. This I my choice and if you love me like you say you do, you’ll let me go on my own.”

There was another knock at the door, this one louder. I was beginning to feel nervous.

“King Lucien, may we enter?” A man asked.

“Demetri please.” I begged him.

“This is because you’d rather be with Caesar, isn’t it?” He asked, ignoring the guards.

“No. It’s about giving you the life you deserve and was born for. Caesar is… normal in a sense. He’s not royalty. He’s ordinary like me. And don’t worry, he has a mate to find. We’ll see each other again. Maybe not tomorrow or next week. But someday. But until then, live your life like you should, like you’re supposed to. I respect your father’s decision and you should too. I mean, there wasn’t really hope anyway.” I forced a small smile.

Demetri wrapped his arms around me and pulled me into a kiss. I wanted to cry knowing I wouldn’t be able to feel his arms around me again or taste his sweet lips again. But I’m doing this out of love. He’s better off without me. I’ll just hold him back. Knowing that, it’s easier to leave him.

“I’ll find you, okay? I will see you again.” He told me when he pulled away.

“I know you will.”

He walked me to the door where the guards were waiting. They all stood back and bowed when he opened the door.

“Your highness, King Lucien summoned us.” A guard said, still bowed.

“Your services are no longer needed.” Demetri said. “Return to your posts.”

“Yes your highness.”

The guards began down the hall and I since their backs were turned, I reached up to give Demetri one last kiss.

“I love you.” I said to him.

“And I love you.”

“Good-bye.”

Demetri gave a nod and I made my way down the hall towards the exit. When I got outside, I made a run for the gate. The guards would surely stop me and I’m not going to allow that to happen. I needed to get away from this palace. Away from King Lucien.

Surprisingly I made it through the gate without a problem. It seemed too easy, but I guess they can’t harm me now that I’m out.

I began to walk through the woods. I pushed branches out of my way and ignored the tall grass scratching my thighs.

A hand on my shoulder caused me to scream and turn around quickly. Caesar stood before me with a startled look on his face.

“I’m sorry. I didn’t mean to scare you.” He apologized.