Chapter Nine

Chapter Nine

I was startled awake by a loud bump above my head. I looked around and saw that I was still in the basement and my hands were still chained. There was another bang above my head, this time plaster fell from the ceiling. What’s going on up there?

I heard a door open and footsteps approaching. Soon Caesar appeared. He wore black pants and a green shirt. His dark blonde haired fell perfectly above his eyes.

“Good morning.” He greeted, smiling at me.

“Hi. What’s all of that noise?”

“Training. I told you it’s hard to sleep when training is going on.”

“What time is it?”

“6:00 give or take.”

“It’s so early.”

“Yeah well the more training the better.”

Caesar came over and reached above my head. I looked up and saw that he was unchaining my hands.

“You’re letting me go?” I asked.

“Don’t get so excited. It’s just so you can eat. Follow me upstairs, and stay close.”

I stood and followed Caesar. I followed him up the narrow cement steps. We walked through a door and the bright light stung my eyes. When my eyes adjusted, I saw a large open field. Groups of people were spread out. People were running and fighting. Do they train like this everyday? What’s the point?

“Why do you all train?” I asked, following him across the field.

“So we’ll be fit to kill those demons you love so much.”

“I know Demetri killed your family, but do you really have to kill him?”

“No one understands until it’s happened to them.”

People had stopped to stare at us as we walked across the field. Every single person had golden eyes and was tan. They could all be related.

Soon Caesar and I came to a large white building. I followed him inside and I the smell of food made my stomach growl. I haven’t eaten in four days. It’s not the longest I’ve gone, but that doesn’t mean I’m not hungry.

Inside it looked like a home. There were couches and a fireplace to my right, and to my left there was a large round wooden table in the center of the room with many chairs around it. There was another door leading farther into the house.

I followed Caesar farther into the house, the smell of food growing stronger. We entered into the kitchen. There were five older women working around the kitchen. There were two stoves, two ovens, two sinks, and so much more. I wonder why they need two of everything?

“Morning Ms Pearl.” Caesar greeted.

A woman who looked somewhere in her forties looked up at us. She had long blonde hair that was beginning to grey. Surprisingly she wasn’t tan and didn’t have golden eyes. She was very pale and had pretty blue eyes with long eyelashes. She had full lips and a button nose. She was a little thick but not too much. She wore a flower patterned dress with a white apron over top of it.

“Morning sweetheart.” She greeted back. She looked at me. “You must be the girl Joe brought in last night. You’re the talk of the pack this morning.”

Everyone knows that I’m here? How? I was chained up in the basement until this morning.

“Anyway, you must be starving. I’ll get you some food.”