Chapter Sixteen (Demetri's)

Chapter Sixteen (Demetri’s)

I rushed downstairs to tell the guards to let Ellie through. Since I could move faster than her, she never saw me. I returned to my father’s room and watched her through the window as she slipped out the gate and into the woods. Anger filled me as I saw the very werewolf that almost killed Ellie, tapped her on the shoulder. Ellie jumped and turned to face him.

“Did the guards take the peasant away?” My father asked, reentering the room.

“No.” I told the truth. I sent them away and let her go. She’s never coming back. She promised to stay away and I promised to marry Jules. I ask you to leave her alone and let her live her life in peace.”

“You embarrass me Son. You let a mere peasant get into your mind. We are vampires. We are strong, ruthless, and immortal. Peasants will never live up to those standards. You deserve far better. Beauty is not always best.”

If only he knew Ellie. How sweet and tender she is. How she loves me for me and after all of the things I’ve done.

“What is Jules?” I asked him. “Jules is simply a commoner that Mother found on the side of the road. If it wasn’t for that, you’d classify Jules as a peasant as well. Would you not?”

“Your engagement is far different. Your mother and I made and agreement that you’d be engaged to Jules once she was old enough. I am keeping that promise to your mother.”

“You have your way now. You’ve just ruined two lives in one night.”
I left my father’s room and headed back to my room. I don’t want to be with Jules and knowing that I may have to marry her is eating away at me.

“Frustrated Brother?” The sound of Rose’s voice behind me made me stop. I turned to look and her and noticed she wore a strapless red dress with a corset bodice and the silky skirt flowed down to the floor.

“What’s the special occasion?” I asked her.

“Father insists that Eric and I spend time together. I’m waiting for him to arrive.”

“Well have a pleasurable night.”

“You didn’t answer me.”

I sighed. Rose is always know for gossip. She’s gets the word around the palace and others nearby.

“Father and I simply had a misunderstanding.” I answered. “But everything is fine now.”

“Misunderstanding about what?”
“That’s our business.”

“I’m just curious.”

“Yes, and that curiousness will turn into a rumor before bedtime. Now, I’d like to return to my room. Have a good night Rose.”

I turned away from Rose and made my way to my room. The last thing I need is my secret getting out and my father would like to keep it secret too.

I walked into my room and heard a short squeal of panic. I found Jules covering herself with the dress she planned to wear today.

“I’m sorry.” She apologized. “I should have changed into the bathroom.”

“No, I apologize. This is your room too now. I’ll just be in the back.”
I started for the closet, but was stopped when Jules grabbed my hand. I turned to look at her.

“Wait.” She said. “We’re engaged so it’s okay if we… if we…”

Her cheeks turned pink as she let the dress fall to the ground and she came to press her body to mine. She wrapped her arms around my waist and reached up to kiss me.