Chapter Two (Rewritten)

Chapter Two

            I step away from the window and force my way through the group of girls who all still look below, horror struck from what they just witnessed. I sit on the edge of the closest bed, trying to keep down whatever was left in my stomach. I can't seem to wrap my head around the fact that the prince killed a man. An innocent man. Instead of simply letting the man go, the prince took his life. He didn't seem bothered by his actions which makes him seem like a monster. Does he have no conscience?

            One of the girls backs away from the window and the contents of her stomach erupts and cover the floor before her. I quickly look away before the same happens to me but that doesn't help with the pungent smell.

            "Adrianna, just take a deep breath." Edna says, rubbing soothing circles on the girl's back.

            "He ripped his head clean off." Adrianna mumbles.

            "How about someone start cleaning this up, I'll make sure Adrianna is okay." Edna helps Adrianna to her bed and sits with her, talking to her softly. I stand from my spot and begin to help the other girls clean up the mess, keeping one arm across my nose to block the smell.

            "How could he do something like that, and without blinking?" One of the girls ask. "It was so effortless for him."

            "He's ruthless." Edna answers. "He always has been, ever since I can remember. I admit he is very, very attractive and his eyes are amazing. But he's a killer and he'll most likely always be."

            "Even so," Isabella starts, a girl with pale skin and white blonde hair. She could be mistaken for a vampire if it wasn't for the fact that she's fang less. "I thought it was against the law for a vampire to kill a human."
             "That law doesn't apply to the royals." Celeste says. Her strawberry blonde hair is pulled into a bun and her glasses sit on the tip of her nose as if she were an older lady rather than a twenty year old. "The royals can do whatever they want to whomever they want. It's a perk of being royal."

            "Well that's hypocritical." Nora says, her long brown hair is braided in a single braid down her back, showing off the one half of her face that was badly burned from a fire she'd been in as a child. "How can you make a law and not follow it? It's called leading by example."
             "That goes back to my previous answer." Celeste says. "They're royals, they can get away with anything."

            I tune out the conversation that was now a full blown argument. It must really be upsetting to them that their beloved prince would dare kill an innocent. Everything I hear about the royals is new information to me. I don't have any fantasies or expectations for the royal family to live up to. It must be nice to have an idea of what the people you work for are like.

~*~

The argument suddenly ceases as a knock sounds at the door. Celeste rushes over to answer the door. The door swings open and reveals a guard, his face as stoic as usual.

"New employees have been requested in the common room for training." He says.

"There's a common room?" Nora asks. "We weren't told of a common room."

"It's mostly used for training now." Edna explains. "We don't usually have time to use the common area. Anyway, hurry along. Celeste and I will clean up he rest of the mess."

Nora, Isabella, and I follow behind the guard. As usual, I try m best to remember the twists and turns of the hallways. At this point I feel like I'll never learn my way around this place.