Chapter Twenty-One (Part 2)

Demetri took my hand and led me into the palace. When we reached the throne room, someone appeared in front of us, causing us to stop.

“Hello grandmother.” Demetri said, standing in front of me.

Demetri’s grandmother removed the hood she wore of her head. She had long grey hair and noticeable wrinkles on her skin. She was pale and wore dark makeup.

“What your father has told me is true.” She said. “Did you really think you could hide from me?”

She looked at me and my heart began to race. This is what we’ve been wanting to avoid. What will she do?

“The sight of you makes you seem harmless.” She said to me. “But with the way my grandson is so protective of you, I can see you are a severe liability.”

“Grandmother…” Demetri started.

“Silence!” She exclaimed, her voice echoing off the walls. “Victor, take the girl. Alastair, take Demetri.”

Someone grabbed me from behind and yanked me away from Demetri. He reached for me, but someone grabbed him too and pulled him away.

“Much damage has been done.” Demetri’s grandmother said. “This will be a long night.”

I was dragged down the hall and down some stairs. When we came to a dark room, I realized I was back in the cellar. I was thrown down to the ground and I broke my fall with my hands.

“We’ll be back for you later.” Victor said. “First, we’ll start with the prince.”
“No.” I said, getting up and running for the door. Victor simply hit me across the face, sending me crashing against the wall.

I fell to the ground and laid there in pain. I heard the cellar door close and I felt fear of what they’d do to Demetri. They wouldn’t kill him, would they? I’ll take the blame. I’ll take all of the punishment if it means Demetri will be safe and free.

~*~

I don’t know how long I’ve been sitting here. I’ve been listening for any noises coming from above, but I’ve heard nothing. I’m getting nervous about what’s happening to Demetri. I hope they’re not hurting him. Would Demetri’s grandmother do that?

I heard the door to the cellar open and Victor walked in. He walked over to me and grabbed my arm. He pulled me up off the floor and dragged me out.

“Where’s Demetri?” I asked him, trying to keep up with his quickness. He didn’t answer me. “Where are you taking me?” Still no answer.

Soon we were outside the palace. I looked around and saw that the ground was no longer stained with blood and the dead bodies were gone. He pulled me over to a group of people. I recognized all of them. The elders, King Lucien and King Vincent, Prince Eric and Prince Nicholai, Princess Rose and even Jules. They opened a pathway for us and my eyes opened wide when I saw Demetri lying on the ground beaten and bloody. He was shirtless and I saw red marks on his back and bruises on his sides. Why isn’t he healing?

“Thank you Victor.” Demetri’s grandmother said.

Victor threw me to the ground and I crawled over to Demetri. I caressed his face in my hands.

“Demetri.” I said. I smiled when he looked up at me.

“Ellie.” He said with a smile.

Suddenly I was being pulled away by my hair. I clawed at the person’s hands trying to make them release me, but it was no use. I was dropped and I looked up to see Demetri’s grandmother.