Chapter Twenty (Part 2)

I was feeling anxious. It's a full moon and everyone is going out to fight. What do I do? What should I do? I always thought about what I'd do when the battle came, but now I'm lost. Should I try to stop this battle, or should I sit back and let it play out?

I wandered the halls watching as guards constantly ran by me. I made it to Demetri's room and went inside. I found Jules sitting in the middle of his bed with her knees tucked to her chest. She looked at me.

"What the hell are you doing in here?" She asked with hostility in her voice.

"There's a war going on out there." I answered.

"I know that." She climbed off the bed and came to stand in front of me. "What I meant was, why are you of all people in Demetri's room?"

Why is she upset with me? I've done nothing to her. I don't know her. Why so much hostility?

"Answer me." She said.

"It was the first room I came to." I answered her.

"Oh sure." She rolled her eyes. "I know about your affair with Demetri. Everyone knows about your affair. You can't imagine the looks that I get around the palace."

There was a loud crash from close by, making me jump. Jules didn't seemed fazed by it at all.

"I never liked the thought of you being his slave. I knew you were just like all of those other servants. You're no different. And now your secret is out and it could cost Demetri his life. He's my fiancée, not yours." She poked me hard in the chest. "If you come anywhere near him again, it'll be me you'll have to deal with."

"Look, there is something far more serious going on than my relationship with Demetri. There is a battle going on just outside this room. I have two people I care deeply about, out there fighting against each other. After this battle is over and I know Demetri and Caesar are safe, then we can talk. Until then, leave me alone and focus on making yourself useful."

I walked over to Demetri's window and looked outside. My eyes grew wide when as I looked at the giant wolves below. They weren't like the regular wolves we'd see in the mountains. They were tall and used their hind legs to move around. They had large paws as feet. Their ears were tall and pointed. Their snouts were long and has sharp teeth protruding from each side. Their arms were long and so were their fingers. I could see their muscles in their arms and legs and their eight packs through their fur. They were beasts that I'd never seen or even imagined before. Just looking at them I became terrified.

I watched for a moment, terror stricken, as guards were slashed and ripped apart. Body parts laid scattered on the ground and everything was covered in blood. I want to go out there to make sure Demetri and Caesar stay safe and away from each other. But I don't know if I can. I don't know if I can muster up the courage to go out there in that massacre.

I took a few deep breaths before leaving Demetri's room. I can go out there if it means a chance to save Demetri's and Caesar's lives. I'd gladly die for them any day. Especially Demetri.

~*~

I made it to the front entrance and took another deep breath before opening the door. Fear filled me again as I saw the battle right in front of me. The wolves were much bigger than looked from afar. They were at least seven feet tall and their hair was long and wiry.

I let out a short scream when a guard who was near me, got his arm ripped off and it hit me. I quickly moved away and searched for Demetri and Caesar. I walked through the dead bodies, scattered body parts, and blood. I felt a little sick as I heard squishing under my shoes.

My blood ran cold when I felt someone breathing down my neck. The they breathed made me think of a bull firing up to run at a matador. I slowly turned and came face to face with the chest of one of the wolves. I looked up to see it's face just inches from mine, it's teeth bared and it growled.

I turned to run but it grabbed me by my arm and lift me off the ground. I kicked at it but it did nothing.

"Let me go!" I yelled.

It opened its mouth and a horrible stench hit my nose. Suddenly I heard an awful cracking sound and I began to fall. Before I can hit the ground, someone caught me. The wolf that was holding me laid on the ground dead with his neck snapped. I looked up to see Nicholai was the one holding me. I was surprised to see him of all people. I haven't seen him in a while and would have liked to keep it that way.

"Demetri isn't doing so great with keeping you safe." He said to me. "You're lucky I was here."

"Thanks for helping me." I said.

"Just go inside and stay there."

"No. I'm going to find Demetri."

"And do what? Distract him so he gets killed?"

"No. I want to convince him to stop this battle."

"Stop the battle? But I'm having so much fun." He smiled as he fractured the leg of a wolf passing by.

I rolled my eyes and left to find Demetri. I made it to the other side of the castle where the fighting seemed worse. There were dead wolves, dead soldiers, and dead vampires. The ground was almost entirely covered with blood. A wolf near me was torn apart by two vampires and his blood splattered on to me. I took a deep breath so I would panic over what just happened.

After I was calm, I searched the area for Caesar or Demetri. Something hit me across the face and flew a few feet back, landing on my back. It knocked the wind out of me and I began choking as I tried to sit up. I found myself right in the middle of a fight between King Lucien and a wolf. King Lucien seemed to be having some trouble. He had a few scratches on him that were already beginning to heal. He fought to hold back a wolf who snapped repeatedly at him, just inches from his face.

Something then picked me up. I was flipped over someone's shoulders and carried off.

"Who are you?" I asked the person, frustrated that I can't see their face. I felt the person began to shake as though they were having a seizure, but they continued to walk on. "Put me down!" I ordered the person, my vision getting blurry from the shaking.

I was then put down and saw I was in the corner of the castle away from the fighting. I looked up the person who had kidnapped me and was surprised to see Caesar. I pulled him into a tight hug and began to shake again.

"I'm so glad I found you." I said, releasing him. "Why are you shaking so much and how are you not shifted right now?"

"The moment I saw you on the battle field, I used all of my strength to shift back. At least mostly. The moon is starting to overpower me again."

"Caesar, I don't want you to fight. I see what they're doing to your pack."

"Yeah, well right now I think we're winning." He smirked and began to shake more.

"Stop this. Please." I begged.

"I'm afraid I can't do that Ellie. I've been waiting for this moment for most of my life. Now it's finally here. I'm going to take this opportunity and get revenge for my family. Nothing you say can stop me. Now, you stay here out of the battle and don't move."

"But..." I started.

"No buts." He cut me off. "Stay here."

I sighed and nodded in agreement. He kissed me on my forehead and left. I watched as he let the moon overpower him and he shifted back. He looked the others, big and scary, except his fur was a silvery white color. At least I'll know which one he is now. Most of the wolves all look the same.

He broke a soldier in half as he joined into the fight again. He must be crazy if he thinks I'm really going to stay here and do nothing.

************************************************************************************************************************

The final battle is finally here. Tell me what you thin so far. I've never written about a battle scene like this and trying my best to be descriptive, so please bear with me.

Please comment, vote, and/or fan (follow). Thanks!! ;-)