Chapter Eighteen

Chapter Eighteen

Caesar came to my side and wrapped his arm around me, pulling close. Will I ever see Demetri again?
“What were you doing out here?” He asked me.
“I was clearing my head.”
“Next time stick closer to the pack, okay?”
“How did you know I was out here?”
“I caught the vampire's scent and someone told me they saw you come out here.”
I simply nodded. I stared into the woods in the direction Demetri had gone. I really hope he’s not gone forever. If he wants me to make a choice, I don’t know which I should choose.

“Let’s head back.” Caesar said, breaking my thoughts.

“Uh, I need to tell you something.” I stopped him. “Demetri’s father plans to make an attack on the pack tomorrow.”

“Tomorrow? But that’s too soon.”

“I know, that’s why I’m telling you this. We have to get everyone out.”
“Ellie, that’s harder than you think. That takes organization and preparation. We don’t have time for that.”

“Make time or else there will be a lot of bloodshed. On both sides.”

He stared at me for a moment. I gave him a pleading look. I don’t want anyone to get hurt.

“Fine.” He gave in. “I’ll tell Keith and we’ll start moving out.”

We headed back to the pack and Caesar left me to talk to Keith. I stood and waited.

“What?” I heard Keith ask loudly. He then looked at me and marched over. “What are you planning?” He asked me harshly.

“I’m not planning anything.” I answered, leaning away from him.

“You and your blood sucking friends are trying to trick us, aren’t you? Do they have a plan to cut us off as we run? We can’t trust anything that this human says.”

“Keith!” I heard Pearl yell.

Keith quickly turned to look at his mother who had an angry look on her face. I’ve never seen Pearl upset.

“You watch your tongue.” Pearl told Keith. “You may be alpha, but your father would not be pleased with the way you treat this poor girl. She sees us as her friends and she would never do anything to harm us. Listen to what she says and believe it.”

Keith sighed and slowly turned back to face me. He relaxed his stance and he instantly seemed less intimidating.

“I just found out about this attack.” I started. “I don’t want anyone else getting hurt after what happened yesterday. I hope to never see that again. I think we should leave for only a day or two and come back. I swear that I’m not leading you into a trap.”

Keith stood in silence for a minute before turning to the crowd that pack had formed.

“We move out in two hours. Take only what’s important. We must travel light. We‘ll meet in the center of the field for a head count.”

The pack dispersed and I felt relieved that the pack would get out and wouldn’t be harmed.

“Thank you, Keith.” I said.

“Yeah, whatever.” He answered before walking off.

Caesar came back over to me and wrapped his arms around my waist, I gently pushed him away feeling a little uncomfortable.

“I’m sorry.” He apologized.

“Let’s just take it slow, okay?” He nodded. “You heard what Demetri said right before he left, right? The thing about seeing him again is my choice? Does he expect me to choose between the pack and you?”