Chapter Eighteen (Demetri's)

Chapter 18 (Demetri’s)

It was hard leaving Ellie behind. I told myself that I wouldn’t leave without her, but she didn’t want me there so I had to leave. The look in her eyes when she told me no. I could see she didn’t know where to go. I felt a little less loved. I felt that she was slowly slipping away from me. And I’m afraid that the longer she stays there, the more I’m forgotten.

When was the last time she thought of me before I saw her? What’s her relationship with that shape shifter? Does she still love me, or has she moved on? These were the questions running through my mind and I didn’t have an answer to any of them.

I returned to the castle quickly. The sunlight was making me weak, but I had to attempt to get Ellie away. And I hope that when we attack tonight, she’ll hide and be safe.

I entered the castle and went to my room to return to sleep. When I entered my room Jules was no longer asleep in my bed. She was gone.

“Jules?” I called.

“I’m here.” I heard her voice from the closet. “I was just using the restroom.” She came out wrapped in a silk robe. “Where have you been? The sun is up.”

“I was just running a few quick errands. They’re taken care of now.”

“Well then come back to bed.”

I did as she asked. Jules climbed into bed as I stripped down to my underwear and threw on sweatpants. I climbed into bed beside Jules. I no longer sleep on the couch where Ellie slept. Her scent is beginning to drift away so it’s become harder to smell it.

Jules moved closer to me and rest her head on my chest. I put my arm around her so I wouldn’t hurt her feelings. Sometimes I come close to telling Jules the truth. That I only care for her as a friend, and that I’m in love with Ellie. But I’m afraid of her reaction. She could go complain to my father who thinks I’ve forgotten about Ellie. Or my secret could get out and the Elders will have my head.

~ *~

The second time I woke it was nightfall. Jules was still asleep but she was no longer lying on me. She usually moves away from me once I’m sleep because of my temperature. I become ice cold as I sleep.

I got up and got ready for the battle. I showered and dressed in black pants and black shirt. There’s no need to get dressed up for an event like this. I left my room and went down to the throne room where we are to meet.

When I arrived at the throne room it was empty. I was early. I took my position on my throne and waited for the others to arrive. While I waited, I thought back to the last night Ellie and I spent together. I remembered how fascinated she was when I had her play the piano. I remembered how happy she was when I decided to tell my father about us.

Does she remember that? When was the last time she though of me before I showed up this morning? What’s her relationship with that shape shifter? Has she moved on? I don’t have the answer to any of those questions.

“Prince Demetri!” The Duke exclaimed, entering the room. His soldiers were lined up in perfect rows of five. “Am I late?” He asked.

“No, I’m early. My father should be here shortly.”

“Good.”

The Duke allowed his men to at ease. The men grouped up and began talking among themselves. I waited patiently for my father’s arrival.

“Your majesty.” A guard came up to me. He leaned in close to my ear so only I could hear him.

“Your fiancée asks for your presence.” He said.