Chapter Twenty (Part 1)

Chapter Twenty

I dosed in and out of consciousness. I’m not sure how long I’ve been down here for. I’m extremely hungry and very dehydrated. I smell bad from the dirty cellar. The rats that wander the cellar used to bother me, but now I’ve grown accustomed to them and don’t mind when they come near. My hair is matted and stringy from the dirty brick walls.

I’m guessing I’ve been in the cellar for weeks but there’s no way to be sure since there’s no sunlight. Everyday I hope Demetri will come down and help me escape, or at least let me see his gorgeous face. But he never comes. He’s forgotten me down here. I’m just another forgotten human girl.

I heard footsteps approaching and fought to keep my eyes open. I looked up the tall figure towering over me. I cowered back against the wall, afraid he might hit me.

“Today is the day you’ll face the elders.” The man said. “You’ll have to be cleaned though. I’ll send a few maids to get you ready. Here.”

The man dropped a tray in front of me, making it give off a loud “clang”. It’s my food for the day. They feed me every other day and it’s not very good food.

The man left and I reluctantly ate the food he gave me. It’s too dark to see what it is, but it’s something slimy and bitter. I finished it quickly and slid the trey to the opposite side of the room. I watched as a rat sniffed the trey and ate the remains of what’s left.

I stood and slowly began walking around the room. I do this often to keep my legs from falling asleep and keep the circulation going. I stayed close to the wall that way I wouldn’t get lost in the dark.

I jumped when I heard the door open then close. I quickly sat down, afraid the guard would think I’m up to something.

“Ellie?” I heard Demetri call. He came into the room more and looked at me. “Ellie.” He said again, coming over to me and crouched down to place his hand on my cheek. “I’m so sorry Ellie.” He apologized.

“You never came to see me.” I said, trying to keep the tears in my eyes from spilling over.

“I wanted to, I really did. But my father has guards watching me at all times. I couldn’t find a free time to come see you. I snuck out to see you. I’m here now.”

He sat down on the ground beside me and wrapped his arm around me. He pulled me close so that I was practically sitting on his lap.

“The elders are coming today.” I mumbled. “They’ll kill me.”

“No, I won’t allow it. No one is going to hurt you.”

He kissed the top of my head and I sighed. I missed the feel of his arms around me. If I wasn’t weak from hunger, I’d hug and kiss him right now. But there’s not much I can do but sit here and let him hold me.

“You know I love you, right?” Demetri asked me.

“Yes. I love you too.”

“And you believe me when I say I won’t let them hurt you, right?”

“I want to. But the elders are the most powerful force in the world. You can’t make them do anything or convince them not to do something. We’re all screwed.”

“It’ll all be okay. You’ll see.”

Soon Demetri had to leave. I didn’t want him to go, but I also didn’t want him to be caught and get into more trouble.

“I’ll see you later.” He said, giving me a light kiss and a hug.

“I love you.” I said.