Chapter Seventeen

Chapter Seventeen

It became a long night as people mourned for their loved ones and the bodies of the intruders were removed. I felt bad for everyone who had lost someone. What would it be like when the actual war comes?

“You alright?” Caesar asked me.

“Yeah. I just feel bad for the families that lost their loved ones.”

“They’ll pull through. We’ll have a funeral for them to give them some closure.”

“You know, you shouldn’t care for me so much.” He gave me a confused look. “You went after Dominick because of what he said. You could have gotten yourself killed. Anger gives people irrational thoughts.”

“I wasn’t just going to let him threaten you like that.”
“You don’t have to stick up for me. I can take care of myself. I’m not some weak human like most people think. I’m a fighter. I always have been and always will be.”
“Caesar,” Keith cut in. “visit the grieving families and make sure they’re alright. We don’t want anymore…casualties.”

“Sure.” Keith glanced at me before turning and walking away. “I have to go. I’ll talk to you later, okay? Get some sleep.” He kissed my forehead before making his way to the family living area.

Since there was nothing I could do here, I decided to go back inside and get some sleep. A lot happened tonight and something tells me that tomorrow isn’t going to be easy either.

~*~

The next morning I woke to banging at my bedroom door. I reluctantly got out of bed and trudged to the door. When I opened the door, Caesar stood with a smile on his face and a bundle of clothes in his hands.

“What?” I asked him, annoyed that he woke me.

“Wake up. We have a long day ahead of us.”
“What are you talking about? What time is it?”

“Time for you to get dressed and come with me. Here.” He handed me the bundle of clothes.

I took the bundle and shut the door. I showered quickly and changed into the clothes he gave me. It was a pair of black, capri track pants and a pink tank top. Are we working out or something?

I went back to the door and opened it. Caesar was leaning against the door across the hall.

“I don’t have shoes and what’s with this outfit?”

“Shoes are downstairs and what we’re doing is a surprise.”

I followed him downstairs and sure enough there was a pair of pink and white shoes waiting.

“What is this about?” I asked, slipping on the shoes,

“You are starting your training today.”

“My what?”

When did I sign up for training? What will I be training for, a marathon? What’s the point?

“Last night you said that you’re a fighter. That you’re not a weak human. Well, let’s make that true. You’re going to train and getting stronger so that way I don’t have to worry about you that much.”

“I don’t want training. I mean what would it do? I’ll never be as strong as a werewolf or a vampire. I’m just human.”

“Yes, but you’ll be a stronger human. Come on. You’re coming with the pack for a run.”
“What? I don’t think I’m ready for that. I’ll be too slow.”
“You’ll be fine. Hurry up. They’re about to leave.”