Chapter Twenty-Four

Chapter Twenty-Four

I tried to stand completely still while the tailors made my wedding dress. They’ve been working on it for four days now, but I think that’s because they want to get it absolutely perfect.

“You’re going to look fantastic.” Edna said from behind me. Demetri had given her the month off to visit her family and to take a break from being a servant. He mostly did it because she’s my only friend but also because his sister was so cruel to her when she was still alive. “Your dress is going to blow Prince Demetri’s mind.”

“I’d hope he likes it. It’s not easy trying to be a human mannequin.”

One of the tailors poked me with a pin and I let out a small yelp. The woman quickly apologized.

“Where is Prince Demetri while you’re here?” Edna asked me.

“He’s with King Lucien. I think they’re planning the wedding.”

“And you’re here getting your dress made. Does the prince have a tux?”

“He’s a prince. He has to have at least one tux.”

“True.” She shrugged.

Demetri and I get married in two days. I’m extremely nervous and excited about it. I’m glad Demetri and I will be bound together and he’ll truly be mine. But I’m nervous that when the time comes, I won’t be a good queen. I’m willing to take the responsibility of ruling at Demetri’s side, but I fear of being the kingdom’s worse ruler.

“So um… what happens after the wedding?” Edna asked me in a low voice.

“What do you mean?” I asked.

“Is Prince Demetri planning on turning you?”

“He wants kids first and then it’s up to me to decide.”

“Do you want him to turn you?”

I’d thought about it, but I’m still not sure. I don’t know if being immortal is for me. And I don’t like the idea of being able to live forever while others age and die. But I guess if I’m going to rule beside Demetri, I have to be a vampire like him.

Soon the tailors didn’t need me anymore to finish my dress. Edna and I left and headed out of the castle. Today she’s taking me to meet her family.

“Edna, Ellie!” Someone called behind us. We turned to see Jack.

“Hi Jack.” Edna greeted with a smile. I saw her cheeks turn a light shade of pink. Does she like Jack?

“Where have you guys been?”

“Ellie was fitted for her dress.” Edna explained. “Now we’re going to visit my parents.”

“Oh right, the prince gave you the month off. Aren’t you two just lucky?”

“I’ll ask Demetri to give you some time off too.” I told him.

“Don’t worry about it. I don’t have family to see. Anyway, I’ll see you guys later. There’s actually some work for me to do.”

Jack left and we continued on our way. I looked at Edna who stared down at the ground.

“I didn’t know you like Jack.” I said.

“What?” She asked quickly, snapping her head up to look at me. “I don’t like…” I gave her a knowing look. “Okay, I do.” She admitted. “We danced at the ball. The night Prince Demetri proposed to you. But ever since that night, he hasn’t really seemed interested in me. Jack is really nice, but he’s a charmer. I don’t think I’m any more special than the other girls that work in the palace.”