Chapter one

Letter

I washed the dishes as my own mother kept throwing sentences and words that should hurt but it doesn't; because I have gone numb by all those years of her informing me that I am unwanted.

"You are a pathetic little girl with no use, I would have given you up if I had money to get a maid." She spoke in disgust

I stayed silent reciting "I'm strong, I am needed, I am smart, I am Brave. It won't last any longer, I was patient all these years and I sure can keep it up for a few, more until I gain my freedom." in my head over and over again to avoid her cruel words.

This is something I have always done, ever since I was a little girl, it helps me get rid of her negative words. At least I believe it does...

"You were supposed to be a boy, do you know that?" She questioned.

"I know that," I mumbled, "you told me that a thousand times already."

"What was that?" She asked, making me stand tall in fear. "Say that again?"

"It was nothing," I said as she threw her shoes on my back which made me wince in pain.

"You better wash these clean, I want to see my face reflection visible on them, due to how clean they are. I want them to shine as they are supposed to." She demanded as I nodded.

"Use words, how many times have I told you to stop nodding? Or do you want me to cut your tongue out?"

"No ma'am" I spoke as I placed the place on top of the others and continued cleaning the rest.

After I was done, I walked out to the living room and started sweeping the carpet with our burrowed broom. I thank God every day that mother is poor. What would I have done if she had a huge house?

I danced around as I seeped the floors to make this task a bit easier, I started humming to follow my dancing and daydreamed about how perfect my life could be in another reality.

A great family who loves me endlessly, siblings to mess with, running through a field with friends I have never had. And maybe years after, the love of my life would show up and we will live happily ever after.

What a great life that would be.

"ELLA!" She screamed my name from her room, I rested the broom on the wall and rushed to her room.

"Yes ma'am" I spoke, looking at the ground with my hands behind my back waiting for whatever she is going to say.

"Read this for me" she handed me a mail letter, I reached my hand for it and I forgot myself by gazing at it; It had a beautiful maroon wax seal on a washed beige envelope.

"Open it already!" She demanded with a harsh tone

"Yes ma'am," I said as I snatched the wax seal with my heart shattering with it. It was so beautiful, my heart couldn't take it.

I unfolded the letter and started reading the neatly curved writing.

Dear Harriet Wright,

We are pleased to inform you that your glorious daughter Eleanor Ruth Wright was picked by the king himself Aiken Dandridge to be the wife of his son Clyde Reed Dandrige.

The ruling family, Dandrige.

"What?!"