Chapter twenty

Work, rage and blood

Clyde's father sent a letter informing him that his family will come over just like last time. Clyde hesitated for a response. He looked at me and I knew what he was thinking.

"I could tell him we are busy," he said.

"Why would you do that?" I asked.

He shrugged, "we don't have to if it makes uncomfortable."

I smiled at him, appreciate that he thought about me and how I feel, but we can't avoid crowds forever. I am a part of a royal family now and meeting with people is a must, I will have to do it one way or another so... "No," I said, "it's okay, tell him we will be right here waiting to greet him."

He gave me half a smile, "are you sure?" I nodded, he looked at me for a brief second then started writing on a letter he intends to send out. Even though phones exist, the king communicates with nothing but letters.

Clyde uses his phone quite a lot because of work, while I have never owned one. back then I couldn't afford it, and even though now I can, I won't ask him for one since I do not know how to use it nor do I need it.

Speaking of which, his phone rang and I am sure it's from work. His changed immediately changed, filled with rage as he got up and rushed out. Soon I heard the car being droved out of the garage, I hope everything is alright.

I picked a book and read a bit in the garden, and once I was done I started watering the plants since I did not do it today.

After dark, the huge front doors that protected the castle opened up by the guard allowing Clyde's car to drive through. His car soon pulled into the garage while I was still in the garden, I did not move from where I was sitting but I peaked as he got out of his car and unlocked it. He wasn't visible from there but I looked in that direction until he came close enough. He did not see me at first, but when he did, he quickly turned his face away and walked inside the castle.

Something isn't right, the way he walked; like his leg couldn't keep steady. His messed up clothes, which is shocking since he always keeps his outfit neat. The way he quickly looked away, it was as if he was trying to hide.

I walked inside shortly after and went up the stairs, I heard running water from his opened room so I walked in, concerned.

"Clyde?" I called.

For a second, it was silent. Until he talked, "Yes" his voice came from the bathroom, yet its door was open.

"Are you okay?" I asked.

"Yes," he said, but I could hear the pain through his voice as if he gritted his teeth to stop the pain.

"can I come in?" I asked, but he did not respond so I asked again, "can I?"

"If you can't resist taking a peak," he teased, but I still can hear his pain. "You may."

I hesitated as I took a few steps towards his bathroom door, and when I finally stepped inside, I covered my mouth with my hand as I stared at him with wide eyes; his white shirt with socked with blood on the ground, his left eyebrow had a small cut and his arm was bleeding slightly while his pants were cut with what looked like a knife that broke through his pants and into his leg. I felt tears stinging in my eyes, it felt as if I was the one in pain, not him.

His eyes narrowed at the sight of my tears that eventually escaped my eyes and, down my cheeks, "it does not hurt," he said, which clearly is a lie. "What is the matter?" He asked as if I am the one bleeding out, "Why are you crying?"