Chapter six

Sewing

I woke up by my mother's loud knocking on my room's door. This is something I would never understand, I have no privacy here, yet, she never gets in my room without knocking.

"Yes mother" I said right before I yawned as I opened my dare meeting face to face with my mother's.

"Why are you still asleep?" She asked.

"It's four in the morning." I responded.

"So?" She question, "you usually wake up at five."

"exactly."

"Since when you talk to me that way?" She said, pulling out her slipper and threw it on me.

"Sorry" I said, without feeling pain at this point.

"Get to work, fall is only getting closer."

I went back inside right after she disappeared out of my sight. I freshened up then took the bag with a couple of different patterns my mother got yesterday. I choose fabrics I wanted out of the ones she got me and started with washing them to remove any wrinkles or stains and to preshrink the fabric.

After I was done, I hang it outside to dry faster by the beautiful sunlight that I will forever be grateful for. I sat on the grass and appreciate the nature around me.

I closed my eyes for a few moments and breathed in heavily. But alas, that moment of peace didn't last much longer. It was interrupted by my mother's voice.

"What are you doing?" She asked harshly, "Why are you not working on the dress yet?"

I stood up immediately and smoothed my brown dress down. "The fabric has to dry first." I answered.

"Why are you even washing it?" She questioned."It was perfectly clean as I remember."

"It is important to wash the fabric before sewing mother," I started, "to remove wrinkles or stains. Plus; washing it puts the fabric into a shrinking progress to prevent further shrinking afterwards. So I get the right sizing."

"Yeah, whatever." She rolled her eyes and left.

I did some cleaning around the house and after that, I checked to see if the fabric dried yet, luckily it did. I am not in the mood for more of my mother talking into my ears until she sees what she wants done in no time.

I used an iron to smooth the fabric out and prepared it for sewing. After that, I removed the brown dress I was wearing to use it as a mock dress to help me make it faster and easier since the brown dress fits me perfectly.

After that, I was ready to sew.
It was really late and I was getting tired so, I kept it for the next day.

I took my time sewing it, it lasted a couple of days of my mother mumbling and rushing me. I kept telling her it won't look good if I rush it just for the sake of it finishing early. We still have time until the unwanted fall dance so...

At least I am going to have a nice dress out of my miserable life.