Chapter five

Upcoming fall

I can't believe what happened yesterday, I can't believe that my own mother has given me up this easily. To a complete stranger, for money!

I mean, to be honest? A mother like mine would do anything for money. Or even without money just to get rid of me. who am I kidding? I am not that shocked, After my father- I was never wanted and I never will.

"Eleanor Ruth Wright come out of your room right now!" My mother screamed from the living room. I jumped out of bed, left my room and closed the door behind me.

"Why is this table dusty?" She asked as she brushed her finger on it showing me nothing but her cleanliness.

"But-"

"clean it now!" She demanded making me node and pick up the of course borrowed dust brush and soaked it in water before cleaning the already cleaned table.

I don't get it, she is going to have a brand new house, why make me clean it then?

Of course....
Just to make me suffer.

Halfway done, I heard her scream my name again which made me let go of the dust brush on my hand and rush to wherever she was.

"Yes mother." I spoke, my eyes stuck on the ground.

"We have got a new letter, read it out loud."

"Of course," I mumbled as i reached out for the beautifully waxed letter.

My mother should at least learn how to read, what will she do without me around? And yet, she calls me useless.

Dear Harriet Wright,

We are delighted to announce that a ball dance will be held this upcoming fall for your glorious daughter Eleanor Ruth Wright and our beloved Clyde Reed Dandrige.

The ruling family, Dandrige.

Great, just great.

I am like cinderella, the difference is that I am being forced to go to the dance instead of being locked up. If you ask me, it's not better. At all.

"When is fall?" Mother asked, panicked, "when is fall?"

"in two weeks mother." I responded.

In two weeks...

"You made this right?" She asked, pointing disgustedly at my brown comfy dress. I nodded. "Well, I want you to make a way better job for the dance, do you hear me?"

"but mother, we already got that green dress you borrowed?" I stated, confused.

"That one is for the big dance of course. The dance where i will hopefully see you for the last time."

I nodded, hiding the pain I am feeling. "I have no fabric to do that." I informed.

"I will take care of that." She rolled her eyes right before taking her shawl and leaving the house.

Another item to 'borrow' of course.