Chapter twenty-one

Work, stuck with me, bored.

The next morning he came downstairs as if I hadn't told him to rest. "What are you doing?" I asked.

"Eating an apple," he said as he reached for an apple from the basket in the middle of the table and took a bite.

"Your wounds did not heal yet," I stated. "You need to rest for a few days, is that so hard to do?"

"I have work," he said as he walked to the front door. "Besides, I feel fine."

I reached the front door before he did, blocking his exit. "Clyde Reed Dandrige," I spoke firmly. "You need to rest."

"I did not know my mother was still alive,"

"Ah!" I gasped, "that is not something to joke about"

"Well, it was funny." he said, "now, get out of my way."

"No"

"Eleanor," he warned.

"Clyde," I said.

"get out of my way or I will make you"

"make me," I dared, crossing my arms over my chest as I looked up at him knowing he is not in good shape at the moment for doing anything. But what I did not expect happened; he carried me and yanked me out of his way. Then quickly opened the front door and left. "Come back here this second!" I walked behind him, but he did not stop. So I followed him all the way to his car and got in the passenger seat next to him,  "you are not going anywhere"

"I will," he said.

"I am not leaving"

"Okay then," he said as he started the car. "You are the one who is going to be stuck at work with me, which I inform you, is not fun."

"Why do you go then?"

"I meant it's not fun for you," he said. "but It's plenty of fun for me, bossing everyone around and torturing people."

"You do not enjoy that," I said.

"you do not know what I like and dislike."

"I do not believe you enjoy that," I corrected.

The drive was silent, awkward silence.

Until he spoke again, "Why do you care so much?" He questioned, I did not answer, acting clueless. "About resting or whatever."

"I do not," he eyed me, I knew there was no point of lying. "Because it's a human thing to do," I said. "I am sorry that I care about someone's health."

The car ride was silent, he stared ahead at the road with his grumpy face on. I do not understand, how does he keep being unhappy all the time? I do not think it's healthy. He has to cheer up for a change. But he is Clyde, that would never happen.

We got out of the car and I immediately shuffled to the entrance.

He got a hold of me, "not so fast princess," he teased, frustrated with my impulse. "Stay close at all times."