Chapter nine

The last dance of the beginning

Destiny, Ambrose and Amelia got into a carriage as I got into another carriage next to my mother, the driver was Willie, just like the last time. My hand uncontrollably found its way to my mouth, I started biting my nails which is something I do when I am nervous, but my mother pushed my hand away aggressively before I can do so.

"Don't." She warned, I swallowed as I reared my eyes away from hers. I looked down and admired the green Polish Destiny had put on earlier today, I am not fond of green other than the green of nature but- the type of green I have on today is absolutely beautiful.

My head lifted back up and I gazed at the memorising view I am familiar with, the trees, the green everywhere and- my eyes landed on the white calla lilies. I remember a week ago I was being asked a lot of questions about the decorations for the engagement and one of the questions was which flower I preferred, I immediately answered with a white Calla lily. The Lily, calla means beauty, which I find the it has a really simple but beautiful meaning. If I can't have the perfect love story, at least I get to have a perfect engagement dance and a wedding afterwards.

Luckily, they are not forcing us to get married right away, it's just engagement. And we get to pick when we are ready to get married. If that's possible, maybe it's possible for us to find a way to cancel all of this too? Who knows. Since we both are being forced into this matter, I bet he would want that too.

The carriage soon stopped and brought me back to reality, Willie helped me get off the carriage and soon, the three; Destiny, Ambrose and Amelia came in front of one, one fixing my hair, one brushing down my dress and one checking my make-up.

"One last touch" Amelia said as she picked a long white gloves from her small bag and started helping me wear it. What's the point of the nail polish then? I shook the thought away, I don't care.

And in the same time Destiny placed a white shawl that matched the gloves to hang resting on one arm to another.

"You are all set" Destiny said with a smile on her face, "so beautiful, isn't she?" Both Amelia and Ambrose nodded, confirming.

"Thank you" I said as they moved out of my way simply nodding in response. My eyes travelled to the huge door, that's when I realised it's a different castle than the one we have been to the last dance a few weeks back.

I swallowed and took a step forward "Come on now" my mother hurried, pushing me to take a couple of more steps.

"Wait," I said, she looked at me confused. "I just- I don't want to do this."

"Cut it out Eleanor, go on, walk to the doors of new happy beginnings." She said, "off you go"

We met with two men wearing the same outfit as Willie, they asked for our names so we answered.

"The mother first" one of them spoke, "you will have to go in first." My mother nodded eagerly as she walked inside after they opened the doors without hesitation.

"Mistress Eleanor Ruth" the other spoke, taking my attention. "You will have to wait a while until Clyde arrives." I nodded, relaxing a bit because I am not ready to go inside just yet. I mean, I don't think I will ever be ready for such a thing. But a couple of more moments might help. I spent it taking deep breaths, deeper than any breath I have taken today.